giving pills to chickens?

Jul 24, 2020
NY
one of my hens had a blocked preening gland and she went and got it worked on today by a vet she now needs to take meds any tips on giving a hen pills

one of my hens had a blocked preening gland and she went and got it worked on today by a vet she now needs to take meds any tips on giving a hen pills
You can just open her beak, pull down on the wattles if needed, and put the pill in. Chickens will swallow pills that I gag on, it’s pretty amazing!

How I do it is I grab the head (usually someone will be holding her), if you are alone hold your hen between your knees to block them from backing up. Hold their head with one hand and use your other hand holding the pill and grab the base of her beak. Pry it open and put a finger inside to keep it from closing then shove the pill to the back of the tongue, do not push it back into the throat too far, and then close her beak. She will swallow it on her own

Back
Top Bottom