Gizmo and how I'm not dead (pic heavy)

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
Zaz told me not to disappear for a long time without warning and I said okay, but then promptly disappeared again without warning >_> I AM SORRY ZAZ.

Things have been pretty busy here. We are building new pea pens (we were supposed to have them built this summer but the rest of real life ambushed me) right now (8'x12' sheds with 32'x12 flight areas whoo! The plans are to have 4 of them, 1st one is almost done) and fixing stuff around the new house.

I just wanted to drop by and wave to you guys (I'll probably disappear for a while again) and quickly show off my imprint project, Gizmo. He's indoors over winter due to our winter crash landing before I was done with my 3-months imprinting, so he's in for a while longer. SO!

I brought Gizmo home in mid-August from the Indiana Wolf Creek swap. He was 6 days old.

Gizmo was very, very noisy when he was a baby (who am I kidding, Gizmo is still noisy) and the only thing that would get him to be quiet and sleep was snuggling in a frilly purple scarf in the crook of my throat.

Even when he got too big for the scarf to hold him up around my neck anymore, he still slept on it. Lydia, my room mate's orange tabby, was *fascinated* by him.

One of his favorite things to do is take rides in the car. He actually has his own car seat, which is a rubbermaid bin with a perch secured in the middle of it, and he sits on it and staaaaares out the window talking to all the cars we pass. We travel to visit my mom every tuesday for special dinners and movie watching (she SPOILS HIM :| she says things like "I can't believe you brought that stupid bird again" as she feeds him bits of shrimp and chicken and cranberries and other things she picked up JUST FOR HIM). One day, we made a very special trip two hours away to see my grandpa, and he sat on his shoulder nuzzling his cheek for almost four hours while everyone else cleaned.

Gizmo is a lot older now, and he has become quite the snuggler.

I'm also pretty sure Gizmo thinks he is a cat.

Gizmo has a large feeder of peafowl chow when he's in his pen or free-ranging the house, but in the evening when I make myself dinner, I make him a small bowl of things he can eat; vegetable bits, meat bits, whole-grain pasta, or sometimes a little bit of greek yogurt or cheese. His favorite is when I have my day off on the weekend, and I make him a bowl of hash browns, an over-easy egg, and a little bit of my toast's crust. He always makes a mess.

Gizmo has been very helpful in building the new pea pen.

Honestly he mostly just gets filthy and watches us work.

He's finally sleeping on his own at night. We carpeted the top of our tallest bookshelf, and we put him up there at night before bed.

He's a pretty good kid (when he's not making a mess or screaming or tripping people or jumping on me while I'm working). If it's not obvious, I'm a little in love. I'm looking forward to letting him out in the spring :)

If you want to see some videos of Gizmo being a house peacock, you can visit his youtube channel. My favorite is the Christmas one!

And that's the story of Gizmo and how I'm not dead.

Very nice to see you here again Kedreeva!
I can see why you are in love with Gizmo, he's a sweetie.
love.gif

Looking forward to hearing about his outdoor adventures!

And it's only 3 months? My friend haves peacocks and he need to wait 6 onths to see her peachicks grow at the size of Gizmo.
Was very cute, when he was a baby!!
Thanks for telling your story
big_smile.png

Very nice to see you here again Kedreeva!
I can see why you are in love with Gizmo, he's a sweetie.
love.gif

Looking forward to hearing about his outdoor adventures!
I took him outside for a few minutes the first time it snowed here (of course it snowed like 10 inches the first time omg) and set him down in the snow... I think it broke his little birdy brain. He just stood there staring into space like he'd had some kind of world changing epiphany. I waited a minute or two to see if he would move at all, but I ended up just laughing my butt off and picking him up again. When I picked him up, he gave me the peacock "WHAT IS THIS SORCERY" face the entire walk back inside. Poor Gizmo, no snow for you...

And it's only 3 months? My friend haves peacocks and he need to wait 6 onths to see her peachicks grow at the size of Gizmo.
Was very cute, when he was a baby!!
Thanks for telling your story
big_smile.png

Actually Gizmo is 4 months (a little more now). He's actually bigger than one of my birds who is a month older than him!

I love this! I didn't keep Peep inside that long but watching those videos brought memories back of Peep at that age. I remember those cute noises he used to make a lot. Peep likes to beg for more petting too. When I walk into the pen he pecks my hand asking to be pet.
This is my Peep, he is turning 3.

How are your older imprinted peas doing? Are they still friendly and they haven't turned aggressive right? Blue Creek Farms wants to imprint a peachick but he is worried that when it grows up it will turn aggressive, so he is waiting to see if those of us with adult tame peas have issues with aggression.

Back
Top Bottom