Glass Bottle Collecting

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
8 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
I've been slowly collecting glass bottles for years, some of my first being vintage eye ointment bottles found at my Grandmother's farm. These days, they wash up in the branch or loosen themselves from the soil around the homestead where people once disposed of them. It's been fun to really look close at the shapes and features of the bottle, and all of their markings to help uncover the maker, potential age, and purpose of each glass. It amazes me that a bit of searching online can help determine these things.

Today's find after heavy rains turned up this old ketchup bottle:

Owens-Illinois Glass Company
Late 1950s? Estimated by markings and changed company marking
The #20 to the left says manufactured in Oakland, CA
Duraglas

While it may have been a mass-produced style of jar, it was interesting to find one in tact and without cracks buried in the ground that's over 60 years old.

Here's some photos of it cleaned up:

IMG_4103.jpg IMG_4104.jpg IMG_4105.jpg IMG_4106.jpg IMG_4107.jpg IMG_4108.jpg

@FoodFreedomNow - Cute photo! And do you have any interesting shaped, or colored glassware even if not vintage? I've recently found another Cremora jar (in a store, not on property) and love the shape and coloring of them.

IMG_3904.jpg

I have a bottle I'd love some help identifying if anyone is able. I found it out in the woods near an old dump pile and believe it may be a drink bottle but am unsure? Relatively newer to collecting so I'd love some input. Any thoughts? It is a screw top lid, clear glass, with markings as follows:

NOTES: 57 with dash may be mold identifying number? G followed by 7 could be reference number for bottle's shape. Unsure of AT marking unless it refers to the Atlanta plant. Atlanta plant was open 1957 until present so wondering whether 85 or 57 is year?

Bottom of bottle: 57 with dash under
Side/bottom of bottle: A T (then an I inside of an O which was makers mark for Owens-Illinois Glass Co followed by) 85 G 7

Photos (as thumbnails, click to enlarge):
DSCN5346.JPG DSCN5347.JPG DSCN5348.JPG DSCN5354.JPG

Back
Top Bottom