Gleet - yeast - Fluconazole

JenBDV

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Hello friends
It seems one of my sweet 1-2 year old leghorns has developed a gleet issue.
It's my 1st time dealing with this - all symptoms and online research lead me to believe she has a cloacal fungal infection. The 1st week I bathed her every day, gave plain yogurt, added apple cider vinegar, etc.
The 2nd week there was no improvement so I bathed her 2 times a day (plus yogurt & ACV) and applied Canestan cream twice a day. The cream has helped with the outside gleet, but she still constantly has discharge from her vent. She was laying eggs up until a few days ago, now I'm not sure.
I have purchased a Fluconazole tablet to give orally in hopes of fixing her up internally.
I need to know how much to give her?
She's a tiny bird, just less than 4lbs & she's so sweet, I want to do right by her. How much fluconazole should she take? How many doses a day? For how many days? And do it go in her food? Etc.. Any info will be appreciated
This is the 3rd week of tending to her - does it usually last this long?

Thank you
Jen

The Fluconazole did not work. 150mg tablet was given to her over 7 days. No improvement really. I need more help!
What else can I try?
I saw a post about Metronidazole but I've never dealt with gleet before so I don't know what to do.
She's still getting baths and ACV and yogurt. She's laying and eating and not off by herself too much. I just can't get the yeasty white discharge to stop.

I'll post some photos later. She just got a bath, so not much to see right now. But it will build back up throughout the day. Here she is in the sink! She's so sweet
Thank you
20211103_093203.jpg

I also like to clip the feathers around the area and apply athlete foot spray once a day. I had hen who had vent gleet and responded well to this therapy. It always cleared up in the winter when she was not laying. But in the spring, the gleet would return so every night I would apply this to her. She saw the can and 'assumed the position'. When she entered henopause, she never developed gleet again. She lived to be 11 years old.

1635958986477.png

Can you please post some photos?
Hello
Here's a few pics.
For reference, she was bathed about 9 hours ago, this has accumulated since and she has now been washed again for the night. She's otherwise happy, eating, laying more than not and being a normal bird.

Attachments

• 20211103_093733.jpg
    20211103_093733.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211103_165049.jpg
    20211103_165049.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211103_165044.jpg
    20211103_165044.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211103_170939.jpg
    20211103_170939.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 18
I'd stop bathing her and start her on Metronidazole. You can flush the area with diluted betadine then apply the spray I listed above. Keep the area dry as possible once it is treated. Keep her in a clean, dry place. A veterinary visit is also recommended.

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/vent-gleet

I'd stop bathing her and start her on Metronidazole. You can flush the area with diluted betadine then apply the spray I listed above. Keep the area dry as possible once it is treated. Keep her in a clean, dry place. A veterinary visit is also recommended.

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/vent-gleet
I'm looking to see where I can get Metronidazole - seems I need a prescription here in Canada. I'll make a few phone calls - and look for the spray. I'm in a rural area so access to supplies ain't always easy. Thank you for the reply - I'll try my best

Back
Top Bottom