1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

GLW laying problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csaws, May 28, 2011.

1. csaws

csaws In the Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Indiana
    We have a GLW that is laying soft eggs, we watched her walk through the yard a lay a soft egg. Is this normal? Something wrong with her? Is it time for her to meet the freezer? BTW she is a little over a year old.

Last edited: May 28, 2011

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think it is a real problem, you get the soft eggs once in a while. The standard wisdom is oyster shell free choice, or yogurt. But I am not real sure that it that so much, I mean I do have oyster shell free choice out, and sometimes I will get a soft egg, and there was a time in the early in the spring, where I was getting a soft egg a couple times of week! uck! And then they quit.

But then the problem went away. Many green vegetables are a good source of calcium, so I am wondering if the weeds and vegetation that they are consuming is also helping.

But I think most hens once in a while have a soft egg, some may go through a spell, but ususally it is a temporary thing.

MrsK

3. csaws

csaws In the Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info

4. tclegg

tclegg Chirping

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Is she getting ready to molt? or is she under any stress? Either one of these issues can cause a hen to lay soft eggs for a while...

5. csaws

csaws In the Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Not stressed and doesn't appear to be molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by