• I'm interested in the discussion of both soy and corn

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • I don't know yet, interested to see what others say

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Explain in a post below)

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
"Products Labeled as “100% Organic” or “Organic”
Products labeled “organic” must contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients(excluding water and salt). Any remaining ingredients must consist of non-agricultural substances that appear on the NOP National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances."
There is no "organic" oyster shell. The calcium carbonate in your organic chicken feed is part of that 5%. So is the Fertrell's mineral and vitamin powders used to turn those organic grains into a nutritionally complete feed. It also allows room for synthetic methionine (DL-Methionine) to be added in very small amount, without which virtually every non-GMO Organic corn-free soy-free chicken feed would be grossly deficient, particularly for birds in their first months of life (instead of merely mildly deficient).

Last edited:
and, FWIW, I'm in the "not concerned" camp.

The nuanced view, i.e. that Roundup-ready crops encourage the use of glyphosphates in farming, building up their presence in the environment to potentially harmful levels - has some sympathy with me. But the reality that a large portion of the world would starve without it - not at some future time, but rather within a crop yield or two - has greater sympathy with me.

...and I say that as a person largely lacking in "normal" levels of empathy.

That said, its your money - if you want to spend it on certified organic, non-gmo feeds with or without whatever ingredient of the week is currently the rage - more power to you. Not for me to say how you spend your cash.

I KNOW natural products w no chemicals won’t hurt me.
Um, be a little careful with statements like that.
Daffodils are natural, but not safe to eat.
Poison Ivy is natural, but not safe for most people to handle.
Some things are only safe when prepared properly (example: kidney beans).

And there are lots of foods that are healthy in moderation, but cause trouble if you eat too much of them.

I know that many natural products WILL hurt me, although I generally can trust that they won't be sold as food in a store-- so I only have to watch out when I want to raise or harvest or prepare my own food.

Um, be a little careful with statements like that.
Daffodils are natural, but not safe to eat.
Poison Ivy is natural, but not safe for most people to handle.
Some things are only safe when prepared properly (example: kidney beans).

And there are lots of foods that are healthy in moderation, but cause trouble if you eat too much of them.

I know that many natural products WILL hurt me, although I generally can trust that they won't be sold as food in a store-- so I only have to watch out when I want to raise or harvest or prepare my own food.
Point taken. I meant natural foods, prepared the way they are intended to be prepared. We don’t eat processed food in my house (excluding pasta, rice, oatmeal…basically 1-2 ingredient processed foods only.) We grow as much of our food as we can, get it from local farms when we can’t grow it or run out, & buy organic if it’s not in season here.
Sorry at my lack of specifics!

... even then unless the farmers are forced to use less pesticides by the government or given subsidies to make up for the lost profits...
There is growing pressure to use the government to force farmers to do various things that sound really good to people who are several generations away from living on a farm. At the very least, try to look into possible unintended consequences.

And into what has already been done - the pressure tends to lag behind what is done like requiring freezing too, for canned pickled vegetables.

Subsidies are a very blunt tool, expensive if not impossible to implement with even vaguely reasonable precision.

Back
Top Bottom