Gnats? In the duck house, but not the chicken coop.

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
I have gnats in the duck house, but not in the chicken coop.
I suspect the excess moisture from duck poop and rain is why. Plus, the duck house is a converted plastic play house. I am not able to keep all of the rain out lately - because I have to leave windows open for ventilation and such. The rain has been excessive this year than it has in recent years. I am glad I never converted a plastic playhouse for chickens as it would be very difficult to keep a dry environment and have proper ventilation.
I have those vanilla car fresheners in there to keep flies away and they seem to be working - there are only a few flies at any given moment as long as you replace the air freshners every two weeks or so. Yesterday, I put all fresh pine shavings and pdz down. I also sprayed the walls (where the gnats were all over) with a natural pesticide. It was on clearance and I thought I would give it a try. It worked as the gnats died, but not sure if there is a better solution (other than a dryer environment - which if you have ducks you know it is virtually impossible to keep).
I am attaching pics of the product.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DAVBC.1.jpg
    DAVBC.1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DAVBC.0.jpg
    DAVBC.0.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 42
Vanilla actually works for gnats. I never heard it working for flies though. I would get some vanilla extract and mix with water and spray the area.
I was thinking of doing that as well thanks. It actually repels flies too so, win all around I guess!

Active ingredient is clove oil, so probably more of a repellent than a killer.
Like cedar shavings, the aromatics could be a respiratory irritant for poultry.

upload_2018-6-23_18-41-30.png

It actually killed the gnats, but probably drowned them. ;)
It isn't too aromatic or let's say it dissipates quickly and doesn't stick around long.

It actually killed the gnats, but probably drowned them. ;)
It isn't too aromatic or let's say it dissipates quickly and doesn't stick around long.
:lol:
Wonders if the residual odor is enough to continue deterring the gnats?
Those things are nasty, raise huge welts that last for days when they bite me.

I checked today and no gnats. So, it must be something. But, I also changed the bedding so it is much drier in the duck house for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom