1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Go ahead, call me easily grossed out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    But this is hideous! First of all, an OCD backyard chicken flock owner is in for some real horrors. I get this. But most of what I do can be done with tools...some kind of barrier between gross hideous things, and my clean, clean, baby smooth skin! But this...oh, lord no, this....when I reached into the laying box and went for this monstrosity, I felt like letting out a guttural scream like those found only in old 50's horror movies! Oh, please...what is this scuzz! Please, tell me it's not some kind of alien infection meant to cover me in it's evil and take over the planet as the deformed chicken farmer from hell!!!!

Ok, so it's not that bad. But hey, what is this stuff? If I had to describe it, it's kind of like the egg scuzz that gathers at the top of egg drop soup when you get it home from the chinese take out...that eggy, gross, scuzzy top stuff that you eat only because it tastes SOOOO good....

[​IMG]

By the way, it was only on the top of the egg as it was sitting in the box, so I'm guessing it came out at the end? Ugh....

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    could be poo.. you know the white gunk part of poo

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:x2

4. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG] Funny, very funny! Ok, first of all, you are going to see waaaaay weirder things keeping chickens - just preparin' ya! [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you want, check out this link to a nice little article on uric acid in chickens: http://www.backyardnature.net/birdpee.htm

May
    be uric acid. Or some other by product of your hen's egg production.

Your sensitivity is refreshing - don't change one bit! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Jeffross, you are easily grossed out! Could she have found the lubricant tube??? [​IMG]

6. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    time for the washable gloves! Soft cotton to protect your skin and not drop the eggs.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:LOL!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Did you say you have a rooster?

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:LOL!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Did you say you have a rooster?

Yes, but he's certainly not trying to prove it in any hurry [​IMG]

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Soft cotton? Do you know easily things can just soak right through!!!! Ack!!!

10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    [​IMG]

So, I'm guessing you're not going to eat that egg! Perhaps a biohazard suit is in order... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by