1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Go to bed...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GollumsBrother, Oct 10, 2013.

1. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    I have 5 hens, all the same age. I have a large coop that they live in and they have loads of space to run around in both inside and out. My question is... Everyday 3 hens go in to the coop to roost, however the same 2 always stay outside and sit on a pile of wood! How can I either teach them or entice them into going inside in the evening! No matter what time in the evening or night, they won't go inside on their own! [​IMG]

2. anirishfarmer

anirishfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2013
    Ireland
    i have similar problem with one of my leghorns

i've tried everything ,from corn to meal worms, to try and get her in

chasing her is a waste of time to,she's quick lol

Health and happiness

3. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    ***News Flash*** all 5 of my hens have taken themselves off to bed inside the coop!! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    We have one a SLW that won't go into the coop. She can't stay our since we don't want her to become raccoon chow so we take turns going out and putting her into the coop every night. I finally took apart her usually roosting place to encourage her to go into the coop but then I forgot to go out and check on her at dusk and spent an hour hunting for her with a flash light... did I mention that I was raining? Dark and raining. Stupid chicken.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by