GOAL: Chicken Coop for under $50 with Pallets! (**Progress Pics!**)

Thatsa really sick coop! Our are similar. I only had 2 pallets so I just used those for the 2 side walls. The rest I built from plywood. I love people with penny pinching inspiration! Nice work. Can't wait to see how ur chickadoos Like it.

Update:

I started thinking about how I could come across some free vinyl flooring to put over the plywood in the coop. I have hear a lot of people use that since it is so easy to clean.

I thought maybe I could call some of the flooring places in the valley to find out what they do with their scraps and realized duh my sister works at RC Willey in the flooring department doing customer service! So I called her to find out what they do with their scraps. They just throw them away, but they are not allowed to dumpster dive so she called one of the installers and they held a roll of scrap for me! Covers the floor of the coop perfectly.

We will probably get that installed this weekend. And get as much done on the rest of the coop as we can so I will post more pics this weekend.

I need to try to figure out how I am going to get shingles. Does anyone have any suggestions. Again, im looking for FREE =)

What do roofers do with scraps?

Also, I will have more pics and updates on my blog click HERE

Last edited:
You may have better luck getting a metal roof for free. When we redid our roof, the pack of metal sheeting from HD has 2 "scrap pieces" that protect the good pieces. The scrap pieces were 4ft wide by 8ft long. We spray painted them and used the extra pieces to cover the chicken run.

You can also check CL or maybe call a roofing company to see if you could pick up the old shingles from a project.

My first chicken coop was made with 2 pallettes as the floor. I now have too many chickies for that smaller coop and am about to build another one. I am scouring the back of the local k-mart for the perfect pallettes to make my house! great job, inspiring! May your chickies enjoy!

My first chicken coop was made with 2 pallettes as the floor. I now have too many chickies for that smaller coop and am about to build another one. I am scouring the back of the local k-mart for the perfect pallettes to make my house! great job, inspiring! May your chickies enjoy!

The coop is great! There is a machinery/tool rental place down the road from us and I saw a sign out for free pallets! I'm going to stop there today....I gotta build a small coop for my silkies as I don't want them in the big coop with the larger breeds. I have some 4x4 ptl to use for the legs and enough scrap plywood for the inside walls. I also have some rolled rubber roofing and will use that on the floor to keep it dry. Can't wait to start, heat has been awful but much cooler today! Thanks for the incentive.
~Gigi

Arguh
he.gif

I can't get to your blog. More picts please? I really want to see how it's coming along.

Back
Top Bottom