Goat breeds

Oh Gosh! This is really wanting me to approachDH for goats again!
We used to have a herd of 22 goats. We had Nubian, Alpine, and Toggenburg. The Toggenbergs gave the best milk and the largest quantity. The Nubian seemed to produce more cream.
We sold them all, out of frustration, when they got loose one day and took out the orchard trees that had been growing for 5 years and were just starting to produce.
barnie.gif

That was 23 years ago. I wonder if DH has forgotten how mad h was.
big_smile.png

We have a ND doe and buck.
I would really like to get a few more does for our buck.
I would also like to get a couple fainters, angoras, and Nubians (the ones with the long droppy ears). Hubby isn't really giving his opinion on getting them or not, but with his up coming deployment and a drastic money cut because of it, I will probably have to wait for 2 years before he comes home to be able to get any more goats....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Shawna

What about Saanen Goats? I've been reading about them after seeing an ad for one for sale. But we weren't looking to get a dairy breed goat till the spring.
sad.png
But geez it stinks to see the ad for one for sale now
roll.png

I just got 3 Nigerian Dwarfs - 2 does and a buck. So far, so good! Hopefully, they will supply us with enough milk - we go through a gallon a day.

Wintering over one is a drag - but the prices are better now. Just depends on if you want the hassle/feed bill or pay higher price for them later.

so I take it the Nigerian Dwarfs are the smallest type goat which is what I'm looking for something as pets for me and my grandson not for eatting or milking , I looking for the type as you would see in the petting zoo's short , small but chunky LOL

Actually what you are describing is probably a Pygmy goat.

Both ND's (Nigerian Dwarfs) and Pygmys are small (so are Fainting Goats) but Pygmys are stockier and ND's are longer, looking more like a small, full size dairy goat.

i really wish we could have goats but our stupid deed says we can't ! we have almost 3 acres! Crazy snobs. I want two nubian dairy does. Wouldn't be smelly like a buck would it? Wish we had enough money to move to somewhere we could have whatever we want. Maybe we could even have a dolphin tank lol (inside joke).

Back
Top Bottom