Goat Experts - what do you think?

~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Medford, Oregon
I'm going to look at these two 5 mo old weathers on Sat that I saw on Craigslist. Asking price $75.00 each.

When I asked the gal if her herd tests negative, she answered by saying she has a closed herd and only brings in bucks from negative farms for breeding.

I'm looking to get my first goats as pets and brush eaters, as I'm on 4 aces with lots of scotch and black berries.

What do you all think?

24846_baby_goats.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have other goats? If not are you planning on getting more?The disease they carry(cant think of name right now) will stay alive for a long time.But if you eat the goats it wont hurt you. But if you get milk goats then you may have a problem.If your not going to get more then buy them they look good. But if you want more tell her to have them tested> if shes reputable shell do it easily.But if she balks you no there is a problem!

It might be the angle of the pics but they look a little strange, their heads look enormous for the size of their bodies.

I wouldn't buy from someone who isn't committed to testing their own herd, it doesn't make sense to insist on testing animals you're buying but not your own herd.

Ok, ya'll saw it, too. They make me think of the cartoon of Quasimoto (sp). They are cute in their own way, but, I too wonder about health issues. And, since you're a member here, I know you probably won't stop with just two....
big_smile.png
There may be more goats in your future, so, not worth the risk.
I was taught something a long time ago with horses, but it pertains to all species. 'It costs as much to feed a bad one as a good one. You're better off purchasing quaility.'
Best wishes to your future herd!

The disproportionate heads remind me of stunted orphan calves. Were they bottle raised?

Hi all and thank you for your input.

I posted the pic because I too thought that one in front does look like it has a big head but thought maybe it was the angle. The one in back peeking it's head over looks to be a normal sized nose.

It's the pic that was on Craigslist.

I didn't know if I should be concerned with the fact the seller states she has a closed herd and only brings in bucks to service the ladys that are from certified and tested negative herds. She said there is no way her herd could be positive.

At this time I'm only looking for pets to eat brush. Maybe a few years from now, I may look at getting a doe for milk.

The seller is going to fax a 4 page info sheet that explains goat care to include the food, grain, and two supplement blocks the two little fellas have been on.

I have found that $75.00 each is on the low end for the Pacific NW area for folks with websites or advertising on Craigslist.

I've seen $150.00 to $350.00 as the norm.

From Fias Co Farm's website:

Even with tests, and practicing CAE prevention (pulling kids, separating CAE positive animals, etc.), there is no way of guaranteeing that a herd is totally "free" of CAE. You can only know if a herd has recently tested negative to the antibodies. Goats have been known to be raised in a totally "free" herd for many years and all of a sudden, as many as seven years later, "revert". Any goat can "revert" at any time.​

Back
Top Bottom