Goat Fencing

Gotta agree with them....goats are michevious escape artists LOL. We used 2x4 wire field fencing. As long as there wasnt a loose area at the bottom, they stayed put. Although they did try.
big_smile.png
And definatly atleast 4' high. We figured 3' would be fine with a couple pygmys...well we were wrong LOL. They were only a couple months old and had figured out how to jump it.
tongue.png

Good luck with your goats and fencing!

I see 16 foot wide cattle panels for $20.00. Is that a good price? What size a space can i get away with to start? I am thinking about using heavy duty t posts so i can move the whole thing around the field as they devour each area.

Quote:
Yes, as long as they have the wire mesh. That seems reasonable to me. Metal is shooting way up. Can you give us a link to that site or a picture? or is it at a local place near you. If that is an onsite, remember to check shipping prices. That could send the cost skyrocketing.

We use 4-strand electrical tape to keep our goats in a 3 ++ acre pasture during the summer. As soon as it snows, we move them to a smaller cattle paneled corral nearer the barn.

Every spring we 'train' them to the fence, so they won't test it. Otherwise, they WILL squeeze through. Our pasture is very lush, and full of lots of browse, so they aren't tempted to go through. But if your pasture doesn't keep them busy, they will look for ways to get to the other side.

Quote:
Yes, as long as they have the wire mesh. That seems reasonable to me. Metal is shooting way up. Can you give us a link to that site or a picture? or is it at a local place near you. If that is an onsite, remember to check shipping prices. That could send the cost skyrocketing.

Just tractor supply. I could maybe have someone pick them up for me.

Quote:
if that's the case I only need one more strand. I have 3 strands of 2" tape for my horse but I never turn on the charger. There are also 3 posts of wood on the same fence. So I guess 1 or 2 more strands at the bottom and turn it on for a change and i am set?

Last edited:
Quote:
if that's the case I only need one more strand. I have 3 strands of 2" tape for my horse but I never turn on the charger. There are also 3 posts of wood on the same fence. So I guess 1 or 2 more strands at the bottom and turn it on for a change and i am set?

Yes! That would be the cheapest and easiest and maybe the most effective too. Our goat electric fencing is 6 strand. Very close together at the bottom for they were babies when they arrived and could get under 5 or 6" of electric.

They will touch it once or twice, then stay away from it. We have a pen of wire fencing panels for when they are locked in. I hope this works.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom