1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat-gurt! Just made my first batch of delicious yogurt!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'm so excited and feeling like a true backyard homesteader! [​IMG]

I just finished making my first batch of yogurt from the milk of my Nigerian doe. (Thank's Petunia!)

I guess I really thought it would all be beyond my abilities, but as my grandfather used to always say, "Read the Instructions!" [​IMG] I used my crockpot to keep it warm all day which was a great way to use it.

Tomorrow morning, we'll try it on the kids and see what they think. Hubby has already given the thumbs up!

I pureed strawberries, a little vanilla extract and some fructose sugar and mixed it in with the yogurt, then plopped it in the fridge.

BTW, does anyone who has tried this know how to make it a bit more custard style?

Just thought I'd share my joy.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds delicious! I have yet to do anything with my goat milk other than drink it or bake with it. I can't wait to have enough to try some yogurt or cheese! Could you post the recipe you used?

3. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    That's very cool! Congratulations!!

I hope to have goats someday.

4. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:congrats!! I have my very first batch cooking in my yogurt maker right now. My yogurt maker came with a recipe that said to make it more custard-style to use evaporated milk instead of regular milk....

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    cool! i cant wait till i can milk my girl! [​IMG]

6. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    That is so cool! I cant wait a neighbor of mine always brings his Alpine babies to me for de-horning. I told him I wanted a milker again one day and he said I could borrow a few or even keep one of his girls if I wanted. As soon as his babies are weaned in about 6 weeks I get to go over and pick one out. I am super excited. Do share your recipie if you get time yogurt would be a fun treat, I love vanilla yogurt with fresh honey!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    CONGRATS!!! isnt it fun...and yummy too... CONGRATS! again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by