Goat Prolapse; Lute or C-Section??

GizmoTheChicken

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
Let me start off by saying that this is a Nigerian Dwarf doe who had three 4 pound babies last year, two of which were born dead. This year she's been having almost constant moderate prolapses (about 2-3 inches out), which are more apparent when she lays down (about 3-4 inches out). Her mom had prolapses, but kidded fine. The owners told me to either leave her be or induce, but my current vet says this is an emergency situation and a C-Section is needed. She's not due till the 28th, but I'm wondering because she has such a large load (3 or 4 kids I'm guessing) and a history of big kids, should I induce her with Lute and Dex or opt for a C-section?

A simple prolapse is not generally an emergency situation. You can stitch the vulva shut and that will keep it in. If you do that, make sure you keep a careful watch on her and remove the stitches when she goes into labor. The suggestion of a C section in this case puzzles me. If this was my goat, when she goes into labor and as soon as she is dilated I would go ahead and pull the kids rather than subjecting her to a prolonged labor. If you induce her shortly before she is due, you will know when to expect labor. Is this vet familiar with goats? Goats often do not tolerate anesthesia.

Since she is due in five days anyway, I think you can go ahead and induce her now or in a day or two without causing any problems.

The vet ended up coming over today and replacing her vagina (since it was a vaginal prolapse) and did an examination. Turns out her cervix isn't dilated at all yet. She suggests that if she prolapses tomorrow to do a C-section... I've used a sheep bearing retainer before, instead of the stitches, but it made her strain too much and stressed her out.

Update: C section complete! Her stitches are healing nicely, but unfortunately none of the babies made it... Their lungs weren't quite ready. The issue now is that her placenta is having trouble coming out. It's looks like long, knotted tissue that is full of blood bubbles. I gave her a shot of oxytocin and she pushed it out some more so now it's touching the floor, but she won't push anymore and blood keeps pouring out occasionally. What should I do?

This is what I used to do in similar situations. You can try gently pulling on it. Use steady pressure. Don't yank. You might ask the vet about it first though.

Assuming you have the breeding date and the due date correct, the lungs should have been mature enough at the time the babies were delivered. I have successfully raised kids born a lot earlier than that. I suspect that there was some other factor other than lack of lung development due to immaturity. Did anyone check this doe for ketosis? Was she eating and moving around normally or was she just laying around, not eating much and refusing her grain? I'm curious.

Back
Top Bottom