Goat Question!

Jun 7, 2017
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I'm looking to get maybe Nubians or La Manchas around 2019/2020. For the purpose of goat milk, I would want to get does. However, my sister is extremely against the idea and would rather we get pygmy wethers (but I don't really see the point in getting them).

We're not exactly goat experts, but my sister's reasoning is that does go into heat and scream like cats. Is this true? Noise isn't too much of an issue, but we do have neighbors about three acres north of us and four acres south of us that might hear the does if they really do scream.

Some goats, particularly Nubians, are vocal when they are in heat. Some goats are quiet. It just depends on the individual. I used to have one doe that the only sign she ever gave of being in heat was to put her front feet on the gate.

They do scream when in heat, but if you want milk you will have to breed them, so they should be quiet after that. It all depends on what you want the goats for, and whether you can handle breeding, and birthing and all that goes with that, as well as doing something with all the kids. Wethers make nice pets, and are easier to care for.

I'm trying to find YouTube videos of a screamer in heat, but I'm only finding quiet ones, moaning ones, or regular bleating. Is there a dairy breed that's more of a moaner than a screamer?
Every goat is different, and some breeds tend to be more vocal than others, Nubian can be louder. I've had no moaners, just regular open mouthed goat yells.

Back
Top Bottom