Goat question

tink

Songster
12 Years
May 12, 2007
upstate SC
We are getting ready to let our goat loose in the pasture.She has been in a pen with daily feedings of goats grains, hay and corn. The pasture is full of natural greens, grass and trees. Should we ease her into this or will she regulate herself? Thanks

All those fresh greens may given them the poops for a few days.
hmm.png
Just a heads up

So i think you are saying she will regulate herself and stop before she makes herself sick? That is my concern..Thanks for the info so far
smile.png

Some goats are pigs and will over eat and make themself sick. I would put them out once a day for a couple hours for 4-5 days and see how they do first. They do love to eat forage. I don't think my buck would ever get sick but I know him that well....it is like he has an iron stomach. I have only had him a few months but he eats out tied up every other day.....sometimes all day. He actually stops and lays down sometimes.

Some goats may not over eat but are very sensitive to feed changes. Usually grass and forage is not a problem but you never know how the goat will react unless you know your goat and have done this before. Best think to do is make sure they are use to eating it and that will happen by doing the above change.

Sometimes it is a judgment call but slowly is best with feed changes. I would have scour halt on hand and keo-pectate too.....just in case. I do make a mental note to check my goats rears daily and their poop. Dead give away they won't run for grain either cause they don't feel good and their butts will be dirty from diarrhea, if they are sick.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am getting ready to do the same thing with mine. As soon as I finish their fence. They will be comming out if the temperary pen.
I was wondering too.

Should we ease her into this or will she regulate herself?

Always "ease" ruminants into changes in diets

I'd feed hay in the morning and let her graze some in the afternoon for a while before turning her out full time, and avoid letting her graze wet pastures​

Last edited:
Thanks eve4ryone for your advice. I think she is pretty smart but I would hate for her to get sick.
Tink

When I got my buck he was in a dirt pen getting hay and grain. Didn't think much of it when I turned him loose in out pasture. Well long story short he got the runs really bad. I had to bath him for a few days. Ended up weaning him into the pasture. Few hours an evening for a week or two and he was fine after that.

Back
Top Bottom