goat ringworm questions

littlepatchofheaven

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Hi, i have an opportunity to get some goats but the owner said they might have ringworm, how is this treated? i looked it up online and it said it is a fungus, could i use any antifungal on it (cream type) ? thanks!

it's the same as ringworm in humans, you can spray something made for athlete's foot on it, ie, tinactin, etc....

You could also try what we did this year with our show goats when we got them they had ringworm and DD's ag teacher gave us some ground black walnut shell, you can get it from the health food store. We gave them 2 tsp. per day. Cleared it up.

It isn't necessarily the same ringworm that we commonly get. Show goats and sheep can get a much more difficult ringworm to get rid of. I contracted it from my sheep years ago and its a booger! Fungus spray is okay, but we ended up doing complete baths, clipping/shearing and doing repeated treatments. Showlambs were not allowed at shows with any active signs of fungus. Just be aware. If he wants to sell, you might have HIM get rid of the fungus first. JMO.

You can also buy Vagesill (sp) that women use for yeast infection, the generic brand is fine and it will work pretty quick. It is better I think than spray because you can centralize it. It should not be expensive and works on humans just as well.
We had a severe outbreak of ringworm, dogs, cats, kids and adults and my son-in-law called his doctor father and he told us to use this and WOW it worked great..that's all we use now...

ringworms are all caused by the same fungus.

One thing to know though (free advice from my veternaian uncle) once you've exposed a place to ringworm, barn, stall, etc..... it's likely to stay there and affect future occupants.

well its not ringworm, thank goodness! it was just a bare patch on their chest where they were rubbing on the wood fence when they jumped up. its only on 3 of them, but one of their wethers has 3 huge lumps on his side all connected, does anyone have any ideas what this might be? they are a little smaller than tennis balls, kind of over his ribs
the vet will be coming out to look at him before i take him, i want to make sure its not something bad/catchy ect..

Ringworm is just a fungus. It is all the same, one is not worse than the other. Any fungicide will kill it.

CL is in the lymph nodes. You usually see it in the jaw first, then it travels down the lymph in the body. It wouldn't show up as three boils in a line. It's nasty, but your vet just lances the boil and cleans it up. Not a big deal other than the fact it is recurring.

Chances are that it's just where the goat rubbed something to get splinters which boiled up. CL doesn't show up in a row like that. It is just boils on lymph nodes.

Last edited:
thank you everyone, you have been very helpful!!
thumbsup.gif

Hello I need help please I have a ffa goat and he has ringworm I have been treating his ringworm I’m going to try to spray his spot with athletes foot spray does anyone know how long it takes to heal if I spray with it I need help ASAP it’s getting worse I sprayed it with bleach and water but the white ring is forming at the moment is that good or bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom