Goats and chickens??

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
I have a variety of birds,(chickens, ducks, guineas, a turkey and a goose) that free range. I am thinking of getting a pygmy goat this spring. Will the birds be okay if they get in the pen w/ the goat??

Yes, they will. I have chickens, ducks, geese, turkies, & guineas in with my 5 pygmy goats. Everyone gets along just fine;)

Last edited:
A guy up the road from me has his chickens running with his large goats and at night they all come up to the "shed" and the goats go to bed in the hay and the chickens roost over them on the "rafters" and he closes the door. He said since they all run together and sleep together he has less birds go "missing"

that's good to know, thanks for the info
smile.png
it makes my decision easier
wink.png

Just make sure the goats don't eat the chicken food. It isn't good for them. A small amount won't hurt them but large quantities are very bad.

Goats are one of the best farm animals to have around chickens, they like each other.

AL

I had goats and chickens together for awhile, never had a problem. My coop was split down the middle and all went up at night into their own sides and freeranged together during the day.

Back
Top Bottom