Goats, livestock guardian puppy and my chickens together?

dhansen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Anyone know if there is a problem keeping goats, guardian puppy and chickens together? They all seem fine, although the chickens think all food is theirs. Are there any health issues? They are in a huge area, about 1/2 acre, that is fenced and all free range daily. The puppy has kept all the bad stuff out, and all the hens are laying and seem happy. What do you think?

They should all be just fine together. However, remember that a puppy hasn't learned all the ins and outs yet and could decide to play with his/her charges. So, keep an eye on him (I'm sure you are.).

Also, the serious concern with keeping goats and chickens together is that the goats will do everything in their power to get to the chicken feed. They tend to over eat and can end up with bloat... that can kill a goat. So, you MUST keep the goats away from the chicken feed.

And, finally, it's my understanding that chickens should not be eating dog food. It's not healthy for them.

edited for clarity

Last edited:
I'm glad to see this thread because as we speak we are building our coop in the goat pasture. It's the only pasture we have fenced in right now and as our dogs are not the kind that will protect the chicks in they go.

We've left them able to fly, and will be free ranging them. We just want them protected at night as much as possible. I did not think the goats would bother them, however, I had not thought about their food. We will have to be sure that the food is kept inside the coop at all times. And of course make sure that the Pygmy goats can't squeeze their butts inside to get a taste......

They really will do anything for feed. We have some very shy does but they will still climb all over you if you have sweet grain or apple treats.

Laney

Funny to read this thread. DS just took a picture on his cell of our 6 week old myotonic goat around the feeder with our 6 week (approx) RIRs. The goats name is Lilly and more than once we've found her curled up in a nesting box. She follows the chickens where ever they roam. Doesn't pay much attention to the older hens, likes the ones closer to her age.

We have had chickens for about a year but started in goats just a month or so ago, but some of them are in the goat field. And there haven't been any problems. One person we got a goat from actually had all her chickens and goats in the same pasture without issue. Along with her Great Perineasse. Sorry can't spell that dog.

Thanks for all the info. My puppy is doing a great job and only warns the chickens when they try to steal her food. I attached the chicken feeder to the coop wall and surrounded it securely with fencing that only the chickens can get their head through. The goats are fanatical about anything that even resembles food, but this seems to be working. So thank you!
smile.png

ok i have to say we have made a door that we thought that the goats could not get in it is about the size of our rooster about 9x10 inch door at the floor and sure enough every time you turn around there is a goat in the hen house
and that is a 6 month old Boar billy that we have thought at first he was jumping the door then seen him queezing through it
so no doors do not work

I've shown this before but since it works so well I'll show it again. This is what we had to do to keep the goats out of the chicken coop... feed. The chickens can duck down and go over and under the boards but the goats can't twist their bodies like that (they do try though LOL!)...

IMG_3631.jpg

From the inside:

IMG_3593.jpg

You'll notice that the 2x4 on the right top is missing on the inside picture. We thought that it might be Ok to go without it... NOT, the goats could get in with just that one board missing; so it went back up.

Back
Top Bottom