Going insane waiting to find out genders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EvansMeXo, May 30, 2017.

1. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    I'm totally going insane waiting to find out the genders of my chicks!! Their now 3-4 weeks and 1-2 weeks. It's my first time with chicks and I'm Constatly checking my silkies pouf trying to figure out if it's round or has streamers, im also always examining my easter egger pea comb trying to figure out if it's one row or three and if it's growing! I'm going batty and I'm not sure if I'll survive until their actually old enough to figure out the gender!! I'm sure lots of you are going thru the same thing I've attached some photos of poor hawks most recent photo shoot, feel free to show off yours too

Attached Files:

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    :thumbsup It's funny, really; My current chicks are fourteen days old today, and I'm trying daily to sort them out! If you want birds that can be sexed early, get an autosexing breed, or Faoumis, or Belgian d"Uccles. All the rest just take longer! It's part of the fun of raising chicks. Mary

EvansMeXo and mandylee like this.
  3. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Typically it takes 8+ weeks to be sure. Just relax, wait and enjoy your chicks. You can't change anything anyway. lol

getaclue likes this.
  4. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2017
    Lol, my old English game bantam was confusing me last week, but now I can tell that Lil Chipmunk is probably a rooster. :) Here's some before and after pics:
    IMG_20170524_144646625.jpg This one (below pic) is from today, Lil Chipmunk's comb is red and he's 5 weeks old, so I know he's probably a cockerel. :) IMG_20170530_161030110.jpg

EvansMeXo likes this.
  5. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia

I have two auto sexed females coming soon! Cream crested Legbars, one hatched the other night still waiting for another to hatch.. I would have gotten the sexlinked ones but I'm trying to get a bunch of different ones so I have a rainbow of eggs to collect :)

6. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia

I'm really hoping she's a hen, she's the only one I have that will lay green eggs, but I'm starting to think a rooster won't be that bad, then atleast I know for sure. He's a handsome guy!

7. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Relax, get to know them, and enjoy them. You'll find out their gender soon enough.

8. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2017
    I'm not worried about my Roos because they will probably join my rooster flock. :)

9. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    I want one rooster, just not this one, I have a male cream crested Legbar coming and I really want some green eggs lol. I've actually been reading up on rooster flocks and might have to start one in the future

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by