Going into lockdown, question concering air pocket

koris

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Colorado
So I am going into lockdown tomorrow, day 18, (first incubation ever). I have noticed the air pocket is kinda slopes on one side more than the other in the eggs, Is there a certain way I should lay the eggs for the air pocket to be in a certain position?

Also I have an egg turner in the LG still air now, when I take that out the eggs will sit lower than what they are now. Can I put them into an egg carton lid so they have something nicer than wire to hatch into? How is them sitting lower going to effect the temp??

Thanks for any advice! Crossing my fingers for Monday (hatch day). I started with 16 eggs from my own chickens, and am down to 14, which I feel isn't to bad for my first go around. But I know you shouldn't count your chicks until they hatch!!!

Also I just found this in one of the other blogs on here...
"ACK!! One more thing. If you only have one machine, it's best to simply unplug your turner unless you're having a staggered hatch. You can use something like egg cartons to hatch them, with the bottom cut out of each little cup for air movement. Otherwise, when you take out the turner the eggs are laying so much lower than they were in the turner that the temps are no longer appropriate and they're way too cold. This is important!"

So I am having a 3 day staggered hatch... So is this saying I should put the day 2 and 3 eggs in an egg carton to keep them higher in the heat? Aren't you suppose to adjust the heat when placing them lower??? Here I go stressing again!!!

Last edited:
I hatch in egg cartons too. Fat end up. They hatch out well that way and wont be playing soccer with the other eggs in there.

When I had a still air I turned in egg cartons then let them hatch out of them so don't know what temp difference actually is from turner to standing on the wire. Guess you'll have to try it and see. Some people lower the temperature by a degree during hatching too. They are generating their own heat at this time but I keep the temperature the same throughout.

PS, don't forget to open all vents in incubator the last three days too for the added fresh air. Between lowering eggs and opening vents you may need to nudge the thermostat up.

Last edited:
I hatch in egg cartons too. Fat end up. They hatch out well that way and wont be playing soccer with the other eggs in there.

When I had a still air I turned in egg cartons then let them hatch out of them so don't know what temp difference actually is from turner to standing on the wire. Guess you'll have to try it and see. Some people lower the temperature by a degree during hatching too. They are generating their own heat at this time so in reality your just keeping them toasty warm not incubating anymore.

PS, don't forget to open all vents in incubator the last three days too for the added fresh air. Between lowering eggs and opening vents you may need to nudge the thermostat up.
Do you cut the bottoms of the end of the egg carton for room to breath, like said above in first quoted post? I think I am going to use egg cartons. Just seems nicer and will help, hopefully, to keep them warmer. So i just put the eggs in the carton like I had them in the egg turner, huh? In the still air incubator I keep it at 102, like suggested. Should I drop the temp to 100 when they start piping?? or keep current temp?
Sorry, I am a first timer at this. I am great at raising chicks and chickens, just have never hatched my own before. Just looking for good advice from others that have done this.
Also I am going to keep the humidity around 60-65% starting on day 20 since my eggs were set 3 days apart from day 1 to 3....

Back
Top Bottom