Going Natural, Getting Healthy...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Oct 13, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I agree with Reinbeau about Cooking Light magazine. It has a very balanced approach to eating, cooking and exercise. I also have been a subscriber since the early 90's. Some of my best "keeper" recipes have come from there. You can go to their website and access their database of recipes.

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Songster

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I would HIGHLY recommend you get two books from your local library: One is In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan, and the other is Real Food by Nina Plank. They both are chock full of all the advice that people have been giving you on this site-- except the part about Weight Watchers and following the FDA. If you read these books, you'll find out that it's the FDA's FAULT that we're a fat nation.

And I avoid soda too. It gives me pimples. :mad:

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Songster

Feb 2, 2008
    Superior, WI
    I read Cooking Light for years when I was REALLY serious about my health. Some of my favorite recipes are from their pages. It is a really great resource, with fitness/lifestyle stuff as well. I stopped getting it because of all the advertising, but in your situation, I think it would be helpful [​IMG]

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Congradulations on your new outlook on life! Go for it!

One place for recipes that range from beginner to experienced is:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

Also, I really enjoy the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks. They also have a range of difficulty in preparation so, as you get better and more adventurous, you can increase your scope of meals.

Too bad you are not near me. We are throwing a Halloween party and all the food is vegetarian. There will be brain cookies, devil's food cupcakes, and such. But there will also be many other foods that will be healthy and vegetarian to choose. We have a policy for our parties: If you go home hungry, it is your own darn fault.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you're ready for another online obsession, try www.sparkpeople.com. Great site!

ETA: "SP" is a site that gives advice, support, and dietary guidance in the form of tracking software that you can access from any computer. It helped me lose about 25 pounds a while back by making me be aware of what I was eating, including the nutritional counts for it (everything from fiber to fat).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    In all seriousness...

if I could make one suggestion to every person living in the U.S., it would be to supplement Magnesium.

I'd also like to suggest that you check out the Blood Type Diet - it's great! [​IMG]

7. 65browneyes

65browneyes Songster

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:Magnesium? Just because I don't know, why magnesium?

I have a friend who did the Blood Type Diet and lost a TON of weight following it. That was about 10 years ago, and she still looks great.

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I highly recommend reading Nourishing Tradtions by Sally Fallon...it completely changed the way I look at foods and it's the info about the foods as well as a cookbook.....Absolutely the best!

9. my first peepers

my first peepers Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I was also about to say "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon is great! Also "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver is amazing. Even if you can't move to the country and start your own farm it has a lot of good info about the food industry.

While I agree with what a lot of people have said about eating whole foods, you have to watch out for those "Natural" labels. Pretty much anything can be labeled natural if it has even one ingredient that comes from nature. You really need to learn where ingredients come from and read labels. If you can educate yourself you will become a healthier eater automatically by knowing where your food came from and what's in it!

Best wishes on your journey![​IMG]

10. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

It doesn't have to be this complicated with all the lowfat, nonfat, low carb, no carb, vit. supplement things that everyone's pushing.

My folks are 74 and 76 years old and used to be pretty sick, even though they always exercised, ate low fat everything, etc.

Fifteen years ago they went strict veggie, mostly raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, legumes, whole grain bread sweetened with raw honey, olive oils, vinegar, filtered water and started drinking fresh carrot juice every morning. They started jumping on rebounders every day and a brisk walk of about 2 mi. each day(which they already did!) All their illnesses went away within a couple of months and haven't come back. I could tell you so much about the changes and evidence of good health in these folks but it would take a while. They don't eat any animal byproducts at all now.

Now, as a nurse, I was skeptical at first...then I started seeing the tangible results of this change and I was and still am very impressed.

Now I don't go with the carrot juice, but I started eating somewhat like them and it is great! I ate as much as I wanted and I never felt hungry. The food was so tastey that I was never bored with the taste and it never felt like I was dieting. Actually, its not even a diet, just a lifestyle change.

My kids and I haven't had to take an antibiotic or had any illness for about 10 years now. And we aren't even half as rigid as my folks with this...we just avoid dairy, store bought meats (we have deer and my chickens, if we want meat), preservatives, complex sugars.....drink alot of fresh water, make our own whole wheat bread, lots of fresh veggies, etc.

It can be done, but don't expect people to understand....most folks don't like people to be different, especially in a social situation. Lot of social eating out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: