Going Natural, Getting Healthy...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

Forgot to add that my parents now line dance, jitterbug, and shag dance about 3 nights a week, rollerskating on Sat. mornings and can outwork, outwalk and outdance most everyone 1/4 their age! They recently entered a local dance contest at a college....danced every dance all the way through and noone could keep up with them! [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    The best "diet" which really ended up being a new way of eating that my DH and I ever followed was the Body for Life plan. It is basic and simple. For every meal - Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner you have 1 serving of Protein, 1 serving of Carbohydrate, & Vegetables (Fruit for Breakfast). Then you add a protein snack (can add vegi's to the snack is you want) in between Breakfast & Lunch and Lunch & Dinner.

A serving size of protein is equal to the size of a deck of cards and a serving size of carbohydrate is the size of your fist. It is best to stay away from refined Carb's and eat stuff like Brown Rice, Whole Wheat bread, tortillas, etc.

We both lost a lot of weight eating this way and we were able to eat good foods. One other thing with this plan was you follow this eating plan 6 days a week and then on the 7th day, it was your free day, to have treats or fried food, or what every it is you are dying to eat.

Good Luck!!!

3. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The conclusion I've come down to is to eat the foods as close to the way God created them. I also make our breads, and baked goods from scratch (we use a nutrimill to grind the wheat right beforehand) and we also try to steer clear of anything processed or with refined sugars etc. (Another good book is Sugar Blues by William Dufty)

Eating healthier, whole foods is one of the best things you can do for your body! You won't reqret it [​IMG]

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Crowing

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    To quote Micheal Pollan, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

What this means is eat unprocessed foods, foods you cook yourself. This is harder than fast food, and grocery store mac and cheese.

Mostly veggies and whole grains, and lean meat. Bread made with whole wheat, with an ingredient list of 5 or fewer things is good. Oatmeal, wild rice, bulgur wheat, millet, brown rice, and barley can all be eaten as side dishes. All fruits and veggies are good.

Try to avoid baked goods with saturated fat, margarine, coconut oil, and most solid fats. Lots of people here had good ideas, but it all will take planning.

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Songster

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife works at a vegan/vegetarian kitchen so she make vegetarian lasagna with eggplant, enchilada's and many wonderful dishes, we eat many different vegetables, alot are cooked, many are fresh from our garden, we eat the fresh fruits from our trees, lately that has been apples. My wife and I don't eat alot of meat but when she makes soup which is about everyday she will use pig bones for flavoring, watercress soup, papaya (from South America) soup, fish soup, won ton soup, tomato soup with real tomatos, plus many types of vege soups, we don't have can food, she prepares everything fresh. I think the main thing is a well balance diet with variety.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  6. holliewould

holliewould Songster

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Quit eating anything packaged. It's hard the first two weeks or so but after that it's easier. You have starved yerself to death and have lost tons of weight by then. Just stick with it. Think of factory farms. Animal product is in most everything packaged. Eventually you will start to get very creative with foods. Soon enough you will be constantly eating/grazing on everything that's not in a bag, can, or sealed package. You will be eating double but losing weight at the same time. You will crave, and I mean crave meat. Eat your fresh eggs, the fish you catch, and the meat you hunt or raise. Grow your own veggies or buy them local. It's simple. Processed foods have so much crap in them that you can't even pronounce. You can make those same meals without all that extra garbage. I am in no way advocating veganisim, I'm just saying I haven't touched anything with animal involved unless I knew it's history. SO far that has been fish, elk, and quail. That was my vow and I feel great mentally and physically. I'm like a ball of energy that eats all dang day long. Can't wait to have a chicken butt. Soon enough tho.

7. holliewould

holliewould Songster

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Yea I read this years ago and just again about 6 months ago. What about the workout plan? Intense. Unreal for most people that have a job LOL.

8. meriruka

meriruka Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    So it's been a month, Poulets, how are you doing with this?
    My advice is pretty simple, stop eating refined sugar & deep fried foods and anything with partially hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup or preservatives. That's half the battle right there. If you are still pursuing Vegetarianism, don't try to force yourself to eat things you don't like, you'll just get discouraged. I've been vegetarian for years and there are things I won't eat; fake meat substitutes, wheat bread, brown rice, fake cheese or soy milk.
    Also, don't try to make everything low fat all at once, just moderate your intake of the full fat stuff, then work up to the low fat stuff.
    Your body does need some fat to function well.

Start out with some good vegetarian cookbooks, but not ones that take every ounce of fat out of the recipe, you'll feel like you're starving to death.

I did it slowly, first no beef. Then no pork, after that no chicken which left me with turkey & fish then I got rid of those too.
    Best thing I ever did was to stop eating refined sugar. That will make a huge difference in how you feel. Then I cut back on dairy. This was hard 'cause I love butter & cheese, but now I use dairy as a flavor enhanser (like a spice) instead of a food group.
    Save your pennies and buy as much organic stuff as will fit in your budget. You don't need all those chemicals in your food and the organic stuff reallydoes taste better.

Is everyone asleep yet?
    Anyway, let us know how you're doing.......

9. eggzettera

eggzettera Songster

Right now the OP is "Taking Some Time Off" so don't expect a reply real soon....... [​IMG]

10. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I forgot about this when I posted to this thread before, but I suggest you look into trading in your chemical salt shaker for Natural Sea Salt.

Redmond's Sea Salt brand is widely available and just as good as the very expensive brands.

The health benefits are unnumbered.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: