Going Natural, Getting Healthy...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Oct 13, 2008.

1. oh mercy... speaking of chicken farts... you dont want ME eating cabbage...LOL

But maybe I can substitute something else in that recipe!

Thanks!! And congrats on your weight loss so far~!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

Whoever said to forget about diet books and energy bars was right on the money. Try to stick to fresh veggies and fruits, lean meats (sometimes it's hard to find), and whole grain. And just because something says it's whole grain doesn't mean it really is. Some labels are tricky. Whole grain bread should have 5 grams of fiber per serving or it isn't really whole grain. You know that eggs have had a bad rap for a long time, but so has milk. Three 8 oz glasses a day of low fat or no fat milk increases energy, weightloss, bone density, and muscle mass. All by itself! There are many wonder foods out there, and there are also many differing opinions. Check out the FDA website. You will find more truth there than in any diet book.

3. Yeah, but isn't it changing that eggs are actually good for you?

4. debilorrah

Yes, that is why I said they get a bad rap. It is now known that eggs are good for your bones, prevents all kinds of cancer, good for your skin, etc. All kinds of foods get a bad rap because of fat content such as avocados. But the fat is GOOD fat - good for your heart, arteries, cholesterol levels, etc. Even though I am overweight, I eat right (it's a genetic thing, what are ya gonna do?) and my blood pressure is 110/65, cholesterol is 185. And I am 47 on Friday.

5. lorieMN

lorieMN Songster

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    go to BeachBody.com all the info you will need is on there..

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Try to think of foods as "healthy foods" or "unprocessed foods" instead of "natural foods." Arsenic and strychnine are "natural." Just my little soap box about the way people term things.

7. debilorrah

Kelly is right! There are so many things that are natural and either horrid for you or good for you. Thanks, Kelly!

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground

Go for a walk daily. According to Walking, The Pleasure Exercise, a book I read years ago when I first started walking, if you walk at 3 MPH (that's a 15 minute mile), for three miles (45 minutes a day) five days a week you will lose 18 pounds, without making any changes to your diet. Of course if you fix your diet up you'll lose even more.

The other suggestion I'd make to you is to get a subscription to Cooking Light magazine. It's full of good info and yummy recipes, I've been getting it since the early 90's. There's always something interesting to try in there.

The most important thing is to be consistent in your exercise, and don't kid yourself about what you're eating. We all can think we're doing good and then drop our guard a bit, and the junk food creeps back in. Elminate processed foods. It is really true that highly processed foods that contain white flour, additives, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. all wreak havoc on our bodies. If it's got something in it you can't pronounce, it isn't any good for you. Get rid of it!

9. The less processed stuff you eat the better. Also, portion size is critical! Most of us probably consume more in one sitting than we need to! I personally have done/am doing Weight Watchers. Portion control and being aware of everything that you eat is their thing. It works for me.

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Low carb too. Avoid too many starches and modern grains. Where did I see a recent article on diet? I think it was in Mother Earth News, even they said LOW CARB was the best and best for our digestive system!

I grow as much as I can in my garden, hunt wild game, grow and process my own chickens and learn about and utilize edible wild foods/weeds. Now I just need to increase my exercise which I finally can do after knee surgery a couple of weeks ago!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: