Going on vacation are chickens gonna be okay?

A lot more water. I have 8 birds and they go through 5 gallons every 2 to 3 days. Depending on weather.
I read some where that chickens drink the same amount of water in a day as 20 lbs dog about 2 pints a day per bird that’s 20 pints a day. 40 pints equals 5 gallons. June 29 to July 30 that’s 4 weeks. Run the math from there. But err on more of everything!

I do agree with KH. That’s a long time to go without someone checking your birds. Try to find a sitter. Or maybe a neighbour who won’t mind peeking in on them?
Hope that’s helpful. And safe travels.
We found someone to only get the eggs for our chickens, i’ll try to convince her to check the waters day by day and refill if all are empty, i’m going to the store to buy more 5 gallons!!

We found someone to only get the eggs for our chickens, i’ll try to convince her to check the waters day by day and refill if all are empty, i’m going to the store to buy more 5 gallons!!
If they are willing to get free eggs, they need to check water and food. Nobody gets a free lunch (or breakfast!) without sharing some of the responsibility!

Definitely agree with the concerns about water... they can get by without food for a little while, but no water = death.

Also water evaporates (depending on your waterer that can be very little to a lot) and food can get stolen by rodents or get wet and moldy. If someone is coming by to get eggs then I think it's fair to also ask them to check on food and water. Even a set up as simple as a large dog bowl for food and one for water, that your egg-picker-upper can just dump food (as needed) and water into each day, can work.

Call your local veterinarian am sure one of their techs/kennel staff would be willing to drop by and check feed & water for a fee or maybe even just free eggs. Also as @rosemarythyme said there is evap to consider as well. 10 mos old they are still growing and increasing their intakes. Adding 5 gals just brings you to 12.5 gals I would leave a minimum of at least 30+ gallons.

Back
Top Bottom