Going through the stressful introduction process

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
I rescued 4 mixed breed 18 month old hens. After quarantine I allowed them to free range at the same time. The 4 new girls continue to just hang together. Unfortunately my original girls are molting and I know this is not the ideal time to add anyone But I wanted to help the other four. Now I’m wondering if I really rescued them at all.

It seems that my girls tend to block the door and not let the new ones out into the run. They may be choosing to stay in the coop to get their fill of food and water. I have placed food multiple places in the coop and offer two waterers both in the run and coop.

Today is day four. The new four are coming when to my call to come back into the run from free ranging with a snack. However they constantly are chased by any one of the old flock. I do not see signs of any real abuse just chasing. The new ones are not standing up for themselves at all and just constantly running away from the existing flock. They seem to stay in the coop more than go into the run as the old girls seem to be hovering at the coop door. This seems to have worked to their advantage in the evening as they are the first ones in the coop. I hear some scuffling but not really anymore than I do with my original flock when roosting time has come.

I just am hoping that this will end soon and they will semi get along. Most articles say this could last up to several weeks. I just am hoping it isn’t forever and that eventually they will semi-mingle and the new ones at least be able to come for a few treats. It is nine against four. One of the new ones is a tiny breed and she is the only small one but seems to be the bravest.

My main concern is that I am giving them enough roosting space. I have looked my coop over and over and don’t see any other way to add any more Roosts. The total is 13 girls. I know I need to add another nest box and will be working on that. Right now they are not laying because they are molting. Are four nest boxes enough for 13 girls ? I have enclosed pictures of my coop and run.

I have converted a reeds fairy shed into half coop half my area to store what I need for them.

I added the giant log you see on the workbench hoping perhaps someone could use that. Some are roosting in the nest boxes as well which I am changing daily to avoid poopy eggs.

You can see that my run is not the issue. If the old hands whatever let the new ones into it.

Attachments

• 17735DDC-3E55-4982-8437-E4924BF4C0A6.jpeg
    17735DDC-3E55-4982-8437-E4924BF4C0A6.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 33
  • 3D3FD580-FA7E-449D-B6F5-8DAD93A39A3B.jpeg
    3D3FD580-FA7E-449D-B6F5-8DAD93A39A3B.jpeg
    662.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 9626CA07-7689-4585-86E2-9BC16E642886.jpeg
    9626CA07-7689-4585-86E2-9BC16E642886.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 355E9993-AA0E-4CC4-8DAE-5658C1228EAC.jpeg
    355E9993-AA0E-4CC4-8DAE-5658C1228EAC.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DF20BE9E-9076-4028-B245-856A0F2BFAEA.jpeg
    DF20BE9E-9076-4028-B245-856A0F2BFAEA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • C2692836-9E3C-441E-9509-3310C01044BC.jpeg
    C2692836-9E3C-441E-9509-3310C01044BC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I have looked my coop over and over and don’t see any other way to add any more Roosts. The total is 13 girls.
That's a tight and crowded space for 13 birds.
Move the nests under the shelf, use the shelf as a poop board and put a roost ~8" above it.
Put the straw bale and stump out in the run.

You are describing normal behavior. It always seems tougher to introduce adults to adults. Give it time and things will work out, definitely consider the changes @aart mentioned above. They need space to spread out even in the coop.

Thanks for the photos. They help. And no one is getting hurt. That is a good thing.

Your roosts are not higher than the nests. Chickens often like to sleep in the highest place available. I don't know if it is your existing flock or the new ones sleeping in the nests but my first thought is either lower the nests or raise the roosts. If you do that you may still have to retrain some of your hens to not sleep in the nests by kicking them out at night but they should soon get the message.

For 13 hens 3 nests that size should be enough though there is nothing wrong with adding a fourth.

I'd find a way to add a feeder outside until they are integrated. As close as these feeders are you may as well just have one. I know, you have to figure out a way to keep it dry outside.

When you are integrating it is not so much length of roost space but more can the two different groups separate enough so the aggressors can't easily reach the others.

I like Aart's idea of moving the nests below that shelf and putting a roost over the shelf, but I'd also want another roost separated for the others to sleep on. I'm not opposed to having a roost directly over the nests as long as they cannot poop in the nests. That way they are clearly higher but it may make cleaning poop a bit harder. If you are concerned about keeping poop from the roosts out of your feed and water so you want them under the shelf, maybe either move them to the other side and build a shelf over them or just put a nest or two on the other side without a shelf over them.

That other behavior will sort itself out as long as no one is getting hurt. I think getting the roosts higher than the nests will go a long way to sorting out their roosting behavior, though you may need to do a little retraining.

Thanks for the photos. They help. And no one is getting hurt. That is a good thing.

Your roosts are not higher than the nests. Chickens often like to sleep in the highest place available. I don't know if it is your existing flock or the new ones sleeping in the nests but my first thought is either lower the nests or raise the roosts. If you do that you may still have to retrain some of your hens to not sleep in the nests by kicking them out at night but they should soon get the message.

For 13 hens 3 nests that size should be enough though there is nothing wrong with adding a fourth.

I'd find a way to add a feeder outside until they are integrated. As close as these feeders are you may as well just have one. I know, you have to figure out a way to keep it dry outside.

When you are integrating it is not so much length of roost space but more can the two different groups separate enough so the aggressors can't easily reach the others.

I like Aart's idea of moving the nests below that shelf and putting a roost over the shelf, but I'd also want another roost separated for the others to sleep on. I'm not opposed to having a roost directly over the nests as long as they cannot poop in the nests. That way they are clearly higher but it may make cleaning poop a bit harder. If you are concerned about keeping poop from the roosts out of your feed and water so you want them under the shelf, maybe either move them to the other side and build a shelf over them or just put a nest or two on the other side without a shelf over them.

That other behavior will sort itself out as long as no one is getting hurt. I think getting the roosts higher than the nests will go a long way to sorting out their roosting behavior, though you may need to do a little retraining.
Thank you so much. It is making me so sad today one of the new ones tried to come out in the run and got jumped by one of the original hens then another then a third and she finally ran back into the coop. I want to make sure everyone saw that I have three higher Roosts in the corners in addition to the long one.

I will see if my spouse will move the long roost higher. I used to have it very high and a friend of mine said how did they even get up there. And one of my eight-year-olds kept hurting her leg jumping down.

Unfortunately I am not able to build anything and my spouse won’t help me anymore with the chickens. She mounted those nest boxes for me. And all of the Roosts. I originally had the nest boxes down low on the other side. I had to remove a lot of things because I got totally taken over by rats. We have done a good job of eradicating them. I had a feeder outside that was supposed to be rodent proof. It was not. That is why I can’t have food in the run as someone suggested. I do give snacks in the run to get them back in the run after free ranging. I collect any leftovers.

The food really isn’t a problem as the door opens and everyone goes to the run at 7:30 AM. So they can linger and eat.

I read a thread that said try to let the new girls out into the run first. The only way I can do that is to catch each one of the new girls and carry them out to the run and put the automatic door on manual. I was thinking of trying that tomorrow but I don’t wanna stress the new girls out by trying to catch them either. They have tamed up pretty well and eat out of my hand.

Everything goes fine when they are free ranging but they just keep separate into different areas. they free range every day weather dependent. Biggest problem is the old girls linger around the door and don’t let them out to the run. I don’t hear a lot of ruckus in the coop when they are trying to get settled for the night.

Thank you all so much. I will move the nest boxes down and add another roost.

That's a tight and crowded space for 13 birds.
Move the nests under the shelf, use the shelf as a poop board and put a roost ~8" above it.
Put the straw bale and stump out in the run.
Thank you I will move the boxes back under the bench and raise that large perch to be as high as the corner perches and add one where the nest boxes are. If my spouse will help me lol

I have the straw bail there because my eight-year-old injured her leg three times jumping down. The bail would get wet outside as well. I live in New England so I can’t keep the tarps over the run in the winter. I usually build them a little alcove to come out in just for a change.

Thank you I will move the boxes back under the bench and raise that large perch to be as high as the corner perches and add one where the nest boxes are. If my spouse will help me lol

I have the straw bail there because my eight-year-old injured her leg three times jumping down. The bail would get wet outside as well. I live in New England so I can’t keep the tarps over the run in the winter. I usually build them a little alcove to come out in just for a change.
Thank you all for the advice and help. I have posted a picture with the nest boxes moved to under the bench and another perch added in the corner. I don’t know what I would do without this forum. I have a hard time using any social media platform but I hope all can see this post that continue to help me. I feel bad sometimes, because I mostly ask questions not answer many.

Adding these rescued chickens has been a challenge. But no one is roosting in the boxes now and they seem to be getting along much better. Now they are giving me a new problem. There is an egg eater in the bunch. I have never had this problem before but have read things about it. I have done a lot of work with my original girls to make sure it didn’t happen. I actually witnessed one of the new ones hovering around the nest boxes. I originally thought she was looking to go in and lay, however, they are now laying in the nest boxes, but she is either pecking them and breaking them and eating them. Or she knocks them out of the nest onto the floor and everyone gathers around for a snack. It has happened at least three times. I also watched this particular hen peck for a length of time at my fake eggs in the nest box. There are actual peck marks in the ceramic eggs.

I will look at past threads about this, but I’m willing to take any advice. The girls are sweet, but adopting them has upset the apple cart. Ha.

Attachments

• DA11B750-84BB-47A5-AFC2-6A7BEE69C55F.jpeg
    DA11B750-84BB-47A5-AFC2-6A7BEE69C55F.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 09E32472-8A0D-4396-B2A5-2348326763AA.jpeg
    09E32472-8A0D-4396-B2A5-2348326763AA.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7AAE8E50-708E-480C-A57D-27EA4CB45E32.jpeg
    7AAE8E50-708E-480C-A57D-27EA4CB45E32.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 8
Adding these rescued chickens has been a challenge. But no one is roosting in the boxes now and they seem to be getting along much better. Now they are giving me a new problem. There is an egg eater in the bunch. I have never had this problem before but have read things about it. I have done a lot of work with my original girls to make sure it didn’t happen. I actually witnessed one of the new ones hovering around the nest boxes. I originally thought she was looking to go in and lay, however, they are now laying in the nest boxes, but she is either pecking them and breaking them and eating them. Or she knocks them out of the nest onto the floor and everyone gathers around for a snack. It has happened at least three times. I also watched this particular hen peck for a length of time at my fake eggs in the nest box. There are actual peck marks in the ceramic eggs.

I will look at past threads about this, but I’m willing to take any advice. The girls are sweet, but adopting them has upset the apple cart. Ha.
I know it'll upset things yet again, but roll away nest boxes are probably the best bet for putting the eggs out of her reach. Either that or remove/rehome the offender, before she teaches all of them to do it.

Back
Top Bottom