Going to be cooking our 1st homegrown chicken... IT WAS YUMMY!

Jen4

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Munfordville, KY
In your opinion how should I cook it... 6 1/2 month old BO rooster. I'm alittle scared of how its going to turn out... Dont want it to be gross.

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.png

Hi, did you let him age for a few days in the fridge? That is important. That is what tenderizes them.

Also, I took the hint and while I was chilling mine in water I added the apple cider vinegar (ACV) and I really think that tenderizes them too. They added it for natural disinfectant reason.

My Roo was 1 year old and his skin was soooo hard to cut through. I thought he was going to be inedible.

I slow cooked him in the crockpot in just about 1 cup water. (I also read that slow cooking is key)

I did not season the water because I really did not want to take the time (I thought I was just going to have to throw him away)

Anyway... he came out tender and delicious. Fell off the bone tender. Not rubbery at all.

I am using him for chicken salad and will put in casseroles.

I also read that any Roo past 14 weeks will be tougher due to the testosterone hormone of the males. So either butcher before that or play around with milk, ACV, brine and cooking methods.

we have cooked 2 of our young cockerels and the slow cooker was the best . this week I hope my wife makes chicken and dumplins.
It is a lot of work but she is great at the task ! The end result is enough for a couple of meals. We made chicken soup with the last one and all of the ingreidients were from the garden.except the salt!

Cooked it in the crockpot and added it to homemade dumplings... it was sooooo good, I was very pleased! The whole family liked it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom