Going to build a dog kennel...what's the best type of floor?

Gravel works well and the lime in it helps to control parasites. If you decide to use concrete make sure it is smooth because worms and other parasites can hide in the cracks. Also remember if you use kennels that means poop scooping daily!
big_smile.png

We have ours on concrete. It is easier to clean and sanitize not to mention diggers

We used wood and plywood to make a sloped roof to provide shade and weather protection. Dogs are den animals, still need a dog house to protect them from wind also. If it gets cold where you are you can always put tarps around the sides to block wind.

No matter how big your play yard is they still need to be walked. Even if it's just 5 minutes. Stimulates the mind and helps calm them.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this as I haven't read all of the posts. My friend had a Great pyrenees (sp?) who was a complete digger and escape artist. She used wire on the bottom of her pen for him and then put pea gravel on top of that so it didn't hurt his feet. He was never able to dig out of it. Then, she put wire on top of the pen and he couldn't climb out. Just make sure there are no holes. Escape artist dogs WILL find that one hole just barely big enough to squeeze out of. Good luck! Also, why don't you just make one big pen for all three? Just wondered. It would save materials.

Quote:
I already answered this, but I'll state it again.
smile.png
I have 1 GSD mix dog, about 16 months old and at least 65 pounds. I have a 6-7 month old beagle and a 1 year old beagle. They are each maybe 10 pounds. They all get along, but the two beagles are scared of the GSD (for obvious reasons). The GSD is also very hyper, and I would be afraid she would hurt the two smaller ones by playing too rough. So keeping them seperate, but next to each other would be the only option I feel comfortable with. The 1 y/o beagle used to sleep in the GSD's dog house (when they were both younger and the beagle was running loose), so they might not have any problem. But the youngest is scared to death of the dog that is 6x's her size and constantly barking and jumping at her....I would be too
smile.png

ETA: And the GSD is somewhat food-aggressive with other dogs, so she would have to be 'put up' in order for the others to eat, and not be eaten
smile.png

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm thinking I might have it figured out.
fl.gif

I have this woven wire that is about 5' tall. The squares on the wire are 4" x 6", but I could use a smaller sized wire to keep the beagles in. So I can use this for the play yard. The dogs will not be in this area unless they are supervised, so the GSD escaping won't be a problem (unless she takes a flying leap over the fence).

I also have approximately 13 cattle/hog panels, each is 16' by 4' (I think). I can use these to make the 'kennels'. They also have 4" x 6" squares, so I would have to add some other type of wire to keep the beagles in. I'd probably have to do this on the GSD's side as well, I'm sure she could get her head through it, so I would think she would probably try to get through this and get stuck
hmm.png
Don't want that to happen.

I saw some specs for 'hoop turkey houses' and I'm thinking this would work to make the dog kennels. Of course I would have to reinforce it a lot, but I could always put the kennels inside the woven wire to use that as the back 'wall' of the kennels. They (kennels) would then be about 8' x 9', and 6' high.

I would assume any of the dogs would be able to dig if there were only gravel down, but I do like the idea of putting wire down with gravel on top. Any idea what type of wire I would need to put down?

So about the only thing I would need to get are some fence posts, some wire (to connect the woven wire to the posts), a couple of tarps for the top of the hoop houses, some wire for under the gravel, and some gravel. I think that might be it, but I'm sure I'm wrong!! I'll need to figure out something for the doors to the kennels, but that shouldn't be too hard. I might get lucky and find some chain-link gates for cheap
fl.gif

Anything else I might need?
Any ideas how I could reinforce the hoop houses? I was thinking of using wire and staples to connect the panels to the base.

Thanks for all your help
smile.png

ETA: And I'll need some type of wire to make the squares not so big. Any ideas on what size/type?
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That's fine, thanks for your help. I totally understand your thinking, I just feel that would be expecting too much from dogs that are used to having their own space
smile.png

The wire I helped my friend use had rectangles. The were probably 2" x 4". It's just so they can't dig it out. We used pea gravel. I imagine if you wanted, you could throw some dirt over it and plant some grass seed so it's easier on them, but then again, you'll need to clip their nails more often.

I have six 8 by 20 ' kennel runs on concrete attached together...I have chain link roofing to keep climbers in and out...half is shaded with nursery type shade fabric I got from A.M. Leanard with 97% uv protection...there are also houses I orderd from Roto Plast, a company out of Texas...I have a trough in back that drains into a small open septic retention type thing...the solids sink and there is no odor...will try to load some pics into photo bucket and post them...bear with me...I have dial up and it takes a bit...
DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1212.jpg
IM000055.jpg

in the last phto with the baby ducks and goose you can see the feet that raises the cahin link from the floor so you can hose out the debris...the chainlink is not cemented into the concrete but set on top on the feest so it could be removed if it was ever essential to do so...the wheight of it all keeps it is place...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom