Going to build a dog kennel...what's the best type of floor?

I also need to figure out something different for my dogs run that we just built. THey're inside dogs but spend alot of time outside when the weathers not to hot or cold. Right now i have gravel down for them ..BUT..they just get so dirty!They dig in the gravel and dirt..etc..
And these are BIG dogs..i cant be washing them ALL the time! ..so..i'm going to put down concrete pavers OR they actually have dog kennel flooring. ITs made of this composite stuff..and washes down easy. ITs expensive but i think its worth it. Plus..i think the concrete would hold in the heat and make the dogs hot? maybe?

Concrete will only hold heat if it is exposed to the sun. Which is why it is suggest building a roof or providing a tarp.

But at the same time, any material that that absorbs heat concrete, rock, or anything black(like a stall mat)((but I'm not sure what color the kennel flooring)) is will also hold heat. Best bet is to shade the kennel period, since the sun itself is going to be what makes your dog hot directly.

Last edited:
AND for dirty dogs, stall mats work the best. Our poodles were getting caked in mud... they stay out all summer dawn to dusk pretty much and we put the stall mats in, they are never dirty now when we bring them in!
wink.png
and the added bonus? no one can dig out! We provide a shelter for them rather than covering the entire run.

I don't know too much about kenneling, but just wanted to ask why you were building two different kennels if all the dogs get along? Why don't you save yourself some trouble and just build one? Also, having them all together would give the GSD some company, no doubt making him or her a happier pup. As for suggestions, just a few: concrete floor does seem like the best option, and you probably will want a roof of some kind to keep them cool unless you can build it between lots of trees...though in the winter it would still be best to have a roof. Here's a nice looking kennel that doesn't look like it would be too difficult to construct: http://keepingitcovered.com/library/2601808x8x5dogkennel.JPG

Also, I would recommend getting large dog houses...whether or not you have all three dogs together, in my experience, they will all want to cuddle up into the same dog house even if they get mad at each other...My dogs would always get into one house, even though we had two and would growl at each other for the best spot, but still always slept together. Hope this helps a little, and good luck!

ps- for the sizes, those kennel sizes sound fine, but of course the bigger the better! And if you put them all together, make one kennel that is 20x12 or whatever. As for the exercise yard, if you do not take the dogs for daily walks, I would definitely make it bigger. If you do walk them and it is just for play time, then that should be fine.

I'm building 2 different ones because one of the dogs is four times bigger than the other two put together. Plus the bigger one is very hyper. They get along, but the big one doesn't know when to quit. So to keep everyone safe, the little girls will be in one, and the big girl will be in another.

We have concrete with kennel mats (like stall mats) on top. We have grass and pea gravel (they don't like the wet grass in the morning or after it rains) in the dog yard.

I love the kennel mats - they provide cushioning, in addition to the bedding, and they keep moisture out of the kennel if water spills, etc. They can be pricey, but they will last years (I have had mine for 5 years).

If you don't want to use concrete or need something easier to do than pouring concrete try pave stones. They make 1'x1' stones that are like $1/stone (or less) and it's easy to lay them although it is best to have a wooden border around to hold them in place.

Back
Top Bottom