Going to build a dog kennel...what's the best type of floor?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I'm going to be making dog kennels for my beagle and my GSD mix, along with one of my dad's beagles.

What is better for the flooring? Can I just put it on the grass, or is concrete or gravel better? I'm afraid of the GSD digging or climbing out, so I'm thinking grass is not that good.

Also, what size would I need for each dog? I was thinking of maybe 2-10x6 runs, one for the GSD and one for both the beagles. I am also planning on have an 'exercise yard' around the kennels, for safe playtime. Some of you may remember my 'stupid dog ate my chicken' post
wink.png

I was thinking a 20x20 exercise yard would be okay? Or would it need to be bigger than that?

Could I have the two kennels touching (using the middle wall as a side on both pens), or should they be seperate?

Also, I have some welded wire and some hog panels, each of these have 4"x4" squares. I know for the beagles I would have to have a smaller guage wire for the exercise yard (kennels will be made of chain-link), but would the welded wire and/or hog panels be okay for the fence on the yard?

Do the kennels themselves need to be covered (roofed) or is a dog house sufficient? I plan on planting some bushes/trees/vines/whatever in or around the kennels to offer shade.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Some of the best kennels I have seen were on a concrete pad with a roof built over them. Tarps work well(you'll have to replace them at least once a year, but you can't beat the beauty and durability of a well built roof. A roof also helps prevent any pups from climbing/jumping up and out.

Concrete is excellent flooring. It naturally wears their nails down and is easily cleaned, while prevents the dogs from digging out. Try to get the concrete sloped, so you can scoop the poop and then spray the pen out and the water drains. The downside to concrete is that in summer it can intensify the sun's heat, so good solid shade is highly recommended.

If the dogs get along well, then having the kennels touch is fine. Kennels touching is usually only a problem if they fence fight, where ears, noses, and lips can be damaged through the fence.

I think the kennel sizes are fine, not sure about the excercise yard though.

I'm planning on putting the kennels on the outside of the yard (basically building the yard even with the front of the kennels) so they'd have the full 20x20 area to run in. I was also considering making it 30x30, but I don't know if I have enough materials for that. I'll have to count panels.
smile.png

These dogs are all young, and have been around each other forever, so I don't think fighting is going to be a problem. If anything, they might get super excited from being around another dog, since they are all tied out right now.

So a roof on the actual kennels, then the yard can be open? They'd still need dog houses though, right?

Well you have to remember that many people don't keep their dogs out all the time. Or they haven't had much experience with kennels or kennel keeping. I've kenneled my own dogs while assisted in a veterinary boarding kennel for over a year. So if people don't have much input or input they feel will just be repeated, then they don't see reason to post. Don't take it personal.

Yes, even with a roof, dog houses are recommended. A roof will keep them dry, unless the wind whips fiercly, but a doghouse will give them something to curl up in and feel secure and get out of the wind.

The yard won't need to be covered, especially if it is attached to their kennels. Then you could just bungee the kennel doors open and they can get under the roof for shade and in the dog houses for shelter. I would make the excercise yard as large as possible, more room to run and goof off the better.

Quote:
Shelley, it's late hun. I'm sure folks will be along to help you. I myself have absolutely no building experience.
If I'm understanding your last question right, you'll want at least some area where they have shade at all times. If you can do that without a roof, then you wouldn't need the yard to have a roof. They will need dog houses for protection from the elements.

Most I've seen have been concrete, although we had a neighbor once who had some sort of rubber mat, maybe like what you get for horse stalls. Probably more expensive than the concrete though.

I was thinking of keeping them inside the runs, and only letting them into the exercise yard when they are supervised. The wire I have to make the yard with is only 4' or 5', and I'm sure the GSD could get out if she wanted to. I was thinking of getting like the perimeter electric fencing to put around the inside of the exercise yard, but where I'm planning to put them is too far away from any source of electricity, so that won't work. So supervised playtime would be the only option, unless I can figure out another way to keep her from climbing (or jumping) out.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do this, but something needs to be done
sad.png

Quote:
Shelley, it's late hun. I'm sure folks will be along to help you. I myself have absolutely no building experience.
If I'm understanding your last question right, you'll want at least some area where they have shade at all times. If you can do that without a roof, then you wouldn't need the yard to have a roof. They will need dog houses for protection from the elements.

I don't have any either, so this will definitely be a learning experience for me. But I need to do something different, I can't even take my Baby off leash without worrying that she'll come home without me and have a killing spree.

Please be careful with the rubber mats, first time you see the dogs chewing or mouthing them, REMOVE them immediately. Knew a GSD who chewed his mats and shortly after had intestinal complications and had to be euthanized. They said that the intestinal malfunction was genetic, BUT I couldn't help but recall seeing the dog chewing the rubber mat shortly before all this happened.
hmm.png

If you go with the rubber stall mats, make sure the edges of the mats are outside the kennel. The dog that died only had a single mat in his kennel and it only took up 2/3 of the kennel, so he had access to all corners of the mat. It's harder for the animals to chew the mats from the flat side, they need the edges. So if you made the mats flush with the ending edges outside the kennel, you may avoid the chewing issue.

The mats may actually be cheaper than concrete. I think a stall mat is about $40 a piece and usually 6 feet by 4 feet (something along those lines). Then again, if the dogs begin chewing them, then you'll have to scrap them.

Back
Top Bottom