Going to buy first chickens tomorrow morning. Hoping to learn and teach grandkids bout raising them

We have neighbors that have chickens. So we are going to get all the stuff in morning that they said we would need to get started. So I belive we will have the chicks in garage in a pine shaving lined tub to start with heat lamp, new feeder and water from local fed store/mill. We’re gett 6 Rhode Island reds? Hope I’m spelling it right, and introduce them Sunday to the grandbabies. We’re going to build them a place in next week or two looking at different coops now we’re told it’s 5 square feet per chicken?

Rhode Island Reds are one of my favorites! Make sure you get sexed pullets and not "straight run" chicks.
Also have you read about the Mareks vaccine?

As far as housing goes... think of roost room first. About 8-10" of roost bar per chicken should do. A 5' roost should be good for your chickens.
Having more is better than less. Two different heights for roosting options helps when there are pecking order related disputes.

6 chickens will be adequately housed in a 4'x4' coop, as long as there is some way for them to access a run or outside pen. Run/pen minimum 6'x10' or 8'x8' or something to that effect (10sqft per bird min. More is better)

More room means less poop build up over time, you can get away with cleaning less often ... Less squabbling/confrontation.

:welcome You’ve come to the right place! We’re all chicken mad here and there’s loads of friendly, knowledgeable members who will be pleased to help when needed or simply just chat about all things chicken!

G'Day from down under Dino and Jo :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one may be of particular interest:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may also be interested in these links:

Back
Top Bottom