Going to lose my first chick. I’m heartbroken.

Chickole

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2023
SoCal Mountains
I feel absolutely awful. She’s so much smaller than the rest, isn’t eating or drinking properly, won’t take food or raw egg/electrolytes from syringe and just cries. I don’t know what to do. A chick pecked her eye so it’s completely shut now. I flushed it and put neosporin. It’s grey when I open it.

She sleeps away from the flock (6 total) and the flock ignores her. They’re a week old. I don’t know if I have the heart for this. She seems miserable and I’m crying seeing her in pain. I hope I toughen up.

Attachments

• IMG_9278.jpeg
    IMG_9278.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 9
Thank you :hugsI sure hope she’s in a better place, she had a rough time. Does it get any better with losing them?
It never gets better losing a chick or hen, it only comes with reduced length of sorrow in my opinion. I want to grieve the loss, I don't enjoy it, but if I lose the emotion of loss, I would stop loving my chickens all together. No one can say "I understand your pain", we all have suffered something like yours, but yours is individual and you'll grieve your own way for the length of time you need. What you do have here is friends, friends who do care and you can cry with or just write out the pain, we do care, we all love our flocks.

I'm sorry your little one didn't make it, I truly am. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom