Going un-noticed

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/articles/2010/03/09/news/6555569.txt

This
is a link to a story from our old home town. Last week, deputies found a 60 yr old woman deceased in her home. She apparently died of natural causes some 14-16 months ago.

No one noticed her missing until recently.

Please use this as a reminder to 'be your brother's/sister's keeper'. Watch for your neighbors, especially your senior neighbors. So often we get caught up in our own 'stuff' that its easy to forget about the others around us.

That is sad!
hit.gif

Sadly, I fear that might happen here with my DH and myself. No one visits, all our neighbors are older than we are and not many call here on a weekly basis (except a couple friends), but how long would someone keep calling and getting no answer before they became worried? Don't know. What concerns me more than anything else would be what would happen to my poor chickens with no one caring for them for weeks. It is sad, but I feel it's becoming more common as folks disconnect from family.

I live rural and on a great 'road'. All the folk know each other and phone, email, walk and talk all of the time. We have keys to each others' houses and watch when neighbors are away. We also take care of each others pets and livestock as well. When someone is sick we all help, check in, etc. It makes for a great place to live. Even our postman is known by all.

Sure it takes some work to know thy neighbor but it is well worth it to keep in touch and keep good ties.

Last edited:
If I don't see Miss May or Miss Carol every other day or so, I'm knocking on their doors, they live right next to me and right across from me. I harassed May's relatives enough after she broke her leg recently that they now come by every day at lunch to make sure she's eating and to keep her from doing anything stupid. Carol is a recluse some months but I still make sure she's ok. The senior center picks up the other elderly lady down the street (bad with names, can never remember hers) twice a week but I still stop by when I can to make sure she's fine.
I'm terrified that they are going to pass and no one will know for a while.

Back
Top Bottom