Gold Laced Splash Orpington

Ok, I know this thread is older, however my project is just barely started.
So we have a splash rooster over the laced hens. My first F1 chicks hatched today. About half are blue & the rest “white” so I’m assuming my rooster is also silver. My question is…. Should I just cull my silvers? I have no idea how silver affects the lacing.

Rooster is splash & apparently silver.
Hens are gold laced. I’ll have to get pictures but some chicks are whitish yellow & some are blue as expected.

So when I used the calculator for the Silver-laced x Blue pairing, if I bred the F1 blue daughters back to their Black Silver-laced father, then I had a 1/64 chance to produce a correctly laced Blue Silver-laced Orpington.

As good as the Calculator is, it's not taking into account gene linkage and it's assuming independent assortment. Also Orpington Lacing is based on ER/ER, Co/Co, Db/Db - Pg/Pg - Ml/Ml

The difference between eb/eb, Co/Co, Pg/Pg-Ml/Ml and ER/ER, Co/Co, Db/Db-Pg/Pg-Ml/M is on the tail. Orpington and Sebright have their entire tail laced while the eb/eb based laced have a solid black tail on both genders, but it's more prominent on males since they have larger tails

Wyandottes are eb/eb based lacing

1651845053053.png

Orpingtons are ER/ER based lacing

1651845092480.png

Last edited:
As good as the Calculator is, it's not taking into account gene linkage and it's assuming independent assortment. Also Orpington Lacing is based on ER/ER, Co/Co, Db/Db - Pg/Pg - Ml/Ml

The difference between eb/eb, Co/Co, Pg/Pg-Ml/Ml and ER/ER, Co/Co, Db/Db-Pg/Pg-Ml/M is on the tail. Orpington and Sebright have their entire tail laced while the eb/eb based laced have a solid black tail on both genders, but it's more prominent on males since they have larger tails

Wyandottes are eb/eb based lacing

View attachment 3094975

Orpingtons are ER/ER based lacing

View attachment 3094976
Lovely. So Sebrights and Orpingtons are laced genetically the same. Cool. The probability shouldn't change though. Lacing is still lacing bred to an unlaced bird. So you're still going to need to hatch a bunch of chicks and breed the best-laced offspring back to their laced parent.

Back
Top Bottom