Gold Laced Wyandotte cockerel or pullet - What % are you sure?

Kagen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
New to chickens (well since being a kid.) Bought 4 "pullets" at a chicken swap and 12 chicks at the farm supply (NH state law min. 12 chicks, so I plan to give 6 to my brother in a few weeks to add to his large flock in the country as I'm in the city of Nashua.)

My question regards one of the "pullets" that are now 8 weeks old. "She" is a Gold Laced Wyandotte named Charlotte that two days after coming home developed a red comb and red wattles. She is the alpha chicken (for pullets the 2 Brahmas are so docile, the silver laced Wyandotte was being picked on at the swap being the only silver, and the chicks are now only 3 weeks so being the alpha may not say much.)

Charlotte doesn't like to be held and is the only pullet to not settle down when picked up but continues to call out and wiggle around.

I can't keep a roo where I live in the city, so if I determine that I'm 95% certain that "she" is a cockerel and not a pullet then when I give my brother his 6 chicks in 3 weeks I have to throw him in as well. I know I have min. 3 weeks to figure this out (if I find out later I'll find a different home for him, or poor Charlette might end up as dinner,) but I don't want to give away this pretty bird if she is indeed a pullet.

I'm wondering if at 8weeks old would those in the know already be certain based on the photos of feathers and comb about the
gender and how certain?

The silver doesn't have wattles or the larger reddish come (small and light still) but as they might be slightly different in age and aren't both gold laced I have no true comparison for this bird.

That's a boy. 100% certain. That red comb and those wattles...oh boy! Not to mention the bright patches of color on the shoulders. I have a little 6 week old Barred Rock roo that I have to find a home for and I am disappointed also so I know how you feel.

welcome-byc.gif
and it is definetly a rooster no questions asked!

Cockerel - 100%.

Question: you said you will have to include him the chicks you give your brother. Since he can have roos and you can't, can you maybe swap him for one of his pullets?

thanks.
unfortunately thanks.

In a few weeks when I go up maybe I'll slip a 11 week old roo in with 5 6-week old pullets, instead of the 6 pullets he's due.

Back
Top Bottom