Golden 300 help

mertime

Chirping
Aug 27, 2017
Good evening BYC! We rescued a Golden 300 female from someone that had a predator get in their yard and kill their other 3. We've had her for about a month now and she hasn't laid an egg since we got her. She was laying one a day before we got her. She's with our Magpie duck that is partially blind and they are best friends. Within the last 2 week's though our Golden has been losing all of her feathers. Her wings are very small and only pin feathers on them. Feathers just fall off of her constantly and we can't figure out why. Does anyone have ideas of what's going on with her? She's almost a year old, the previous people got her from Metzer farms as an egg last April.

She's a duck :) and no, its all over her really. Her small wings though lol horrible. I can't believe the amount of feathers coming off of her. My other ducks molt but nite nearly as bad as this

Good evening BYC! We rescued a Golden 300 female from someone that had a predator get in their yard and kill their other 3. We've had her for about a month now and she hasn't laid an egg since we got her. She was laying one a day before we got her. She's with our Magpie duck that is partially blind and they are best friends. Within the last 2 week's though our Golden has been losing all of her feathers. Her wings are very small and only pin feathers on them. Feathers just fall off of her constantly and we can't figure out why. Does anyone have ideas of what's going on with her? She's almost a year old, the previous people got her from Metzer farms as an egg last April.
You don't say where you live, but if it is in a warmer area, ducks molt in early spring. My Indian Runner drake, Donald, looks like he got in a fight with a chicken plucker…
If they are eating and drinking and roaming their area they are very likely fine.

You don't say where you live, but if it is in a warmer area, ducks molt in early spring. My Indian Runner drake, Donald, looks like he got in a fight with a chicken plucker…
If they are eating and drinking and roaming their area they are very likely fine.
I'm in Colorado, pretty cold here! I guess not really knowing her from egg like I have my others makes me worry more. I have 3 swedish runners that aren't Molting yet. We will just watch her closely

I have over 500 Goldens. My first guess would be she is molting and not going to lay until she is done. Many of my ducks are as you describe. The wings are the final stage of the molt. Once she is done replacing those, she should restart laying. Giving her some extra protein right now would help.

Definitely post a pic though. Also, if you can pick her up and look to be sure she doesn't have a bug infestation, that would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom