Golden Comet Hen Becoming Lame Purple Legs

chickentender03

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Sorry for all the pictures! My 2 year old Golden Comet hen, Sinnie, has not been doing well. For about 2 weeks now, she's been lethargic, barely moving, with a very droopy comb, and her leg skin is purple and tender to the touch. Yesterday, I noticed her vent looked very weird and small. I gave her a good soak in an epsom salt bath. After, I checked for an egg or other blockage, but didn't find any. She is alert and awake, but her legs look weak and she hardly moves.
Please advise.
Thank you!!
20230717_182022.jpg
20230718_182112.jpg

Attachments

• 20230718_181123.jpg
    20230718_181123.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230718_180611.jpg
    20230718_180611.jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 16
She is alert and awake, but her legs look weak and she hardly moves.
Please advise.
Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements.

When was her last egg? (the skin looks normal to me)

Is it just me or does her right eye look abnormal? Cloudy or something? Maybe Marek's, an injury, or a trick of the camera angle??

How has your weather been? Is she still eating and drinking?

First suspect is riboflavin deficiency see post #2 in following link for explanation..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cks-dont-know-what-to-do-please-help.1122179/

Hope she starts to improve! :fl

Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements.

When was her last egg? (the skin looks normal to me)

Is it just me or does her right eye look abnormal? Cloudy or something? Maybe Marek's, an injury, or a trick of the camera angle??

How has your weather been? Is she still eating and drinking?

First suspect is riboflavin deficiency see post #2 in following link for explanation..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cks-dont-know-what-to-do-please-help.1122179/

Hope she starts to improve! :fl
Thank you for your response!!
To be honest, I'm not sure when her last egg was. She has been isolated for about a week now, so it would have been before that.
I'm in Georgia, so it's been hot and humid-- mid 70s at night and high 80s to low 90s during the day. However, I have fans both inside and outside of the coop. Also, both the coop and run are in a very shady area. She is not eating much, if at all. I've been giving her water with electrolyte and antioxidant supplements. I have noticed her drink a little.
Normally, I use Purina Layena crumbles, and for treats I give them cherry tomatoes, green beans, corn, Producer's Pride scratch, and dried mealworms. They only get treats once every other day. I have oyster shells, but I don't give them out as treats anymore.
I only point out the skin because it was noticeably darker than her other skin. I will post a pic of that difference.

Thank you for your response!!
To be honest, I'm not sure when her last egg was. She has been isolated for about a week now, so it would have been before that.
I'm in Georgia, so it's been hot and humid-- mid 70s at night and high 80s to low 90s during the day. However, I have fans both inside and outside of the coop. Also, both the coop and run are in a very shady area. She is not eating much, if at all. I've been giving her water with electrolyte and antioxidant supplements. I have noticed her drink a little.
Normally, I use Purina Layena crumbles, and for treats I give them cherry tomatoes, green beans, corn, Producer's Pride scratch, and dried mealworms. They only get treats once every other day. I have oyster shells, but I don't give them out as treats anymore.
I only point out the skin because it was noticeably darker than her other skin. I will post a pic of that difference.

Attachments

• 20230711_180057.jpg
    20230711_180057.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 15
It looks like the first picture may have captured her nictitating membrane (third eyelid.) I would get her drinking fluids, and offer both electrolytes and plain cool water. Mix a small bowl of chicken feed soaked in a lot of water, and some cooked egg or tuna. Poultry Cell is good for riboflavin, electrolytes and other vitamins. Dosage is 2 ml daily given a couple of drops at a time.

Is your flock vaccinated for Marek's disease?
When was the last/most recent time you brought any new birds home?
Thank you for your response!
I don't think they are vaccinated, but I did use medicated feed when they were baby chicks. I have had these same chicks since March 2021 and haven't brought any new birds into the flock.

It looks like the first picture may have captured her nictitating membrane (third eyelid.) I would get her drinking fluids, and offer both electrolytes and plain cool water. Mix a small bowl of chicken feed soaked in a lot of water, and some cooked egg or tuna. Poultry Cell is good for riboflavin, electrolytes and other vitamins. Dosage is 2 ml daily given a couple of drops at a time.
Thank you for your response!
I did go pick up some Poultry Cell. I tried to give it to her via syringe, but she was NOT having that haha! So I mixed it up in a tiny bit of food and she did actually eat it. How often should I give her this?

Back
Top Bottom