Golden Comets

So about how many weeks do most golden comet hens start laying? I have 3 who seem full grown, so I would like to know when they will start laying.
yippiechickie.gif

Last year I bought 3 red sex links, which it turns out are the same as golden comets. These were all pullets and I also bought three white leghorn pullets along with three buff Orpington s.r. which turned out to be one pullet and two roosters. Of the bunch, my favorites are the sex links. I have gotten 3 brown eggs nearly every day this winter, which has been the coldest I can remember in my 60 years on this earth! They are also very tame and squat down whenever I come near them so I can just pick them up and cuddle them. A couple of days ago, after I had been out in my yard, I came back into my house and two followed me right in! Whenever I'm in my yard, I look like the Pied Piper of Hamlin except it's chickens following me! I know many people use their older hens for stews, but I love my girls too much to do that to them, so they'll just literally be turned out to pasture to eat bugs and grass when I retire them. As far as age when they start laying, mine were right at 20 weeks when they began to lay.

Golden Comets are AWESOME! Bought six last year from tractor supply, they are a smaller, tightly feathered bird that lay a large dark brown egg almost every day. Come winter (shorter day length) rather than stop laying and molt, they continue laying without supplemental lighting. Friendly birds that will eat out of your hand! I have been very impressed by them when compared to my barred rocks, australorpes, and Wyandotte's. Highly recommended for FANTASTIC egg production, hard to believe they can produce so many eggs from such a compact bird!

I have six Golden Comets that I got from Heartland Hatchery. I absolutely love them. Super friendly, great foragers, have done fantastic in my unheated, uninsulated coop (we've experienced many days with single digit temps this winter and a few days as low as -10, not factoring in wind chill). The first three started laying at 18 weeks to the day with the rest starting up within a week. I get a different shade of brown from each bird ranging from pink to creamy yellowish brown, to light brown and darker brown. I got a size large double yolk on the very first day and have gotten a few extra jumbos in the last couple off weeks. Here's some pics of two that I got yesterday.

These are WONDERFUL birds!
I have two of them they have an excellent personality. They lay regularly and have large brown eggs. There names are Nugget and Rose, I also have a Buff Orpington (Sweetie), a Delaware(Grayella), a Barred Rock(Lilly), and two Astralorps(Penguin and Puffin).

Well just just brought home my first batch of peeps ever! 4 Comets and 2 RIR! I've been waiting and building their home for almost a year, so it was time to jump in!!

Thanks for all the great info on the Golden Comets! I like that name better than the Gold Star the hatchery over here told us. I love seeing all your photos of the chickens and the eggs...I am sure glad my son choose 3 GC's along with 3 EE's.

Can anyone tell me how to add a photo to a post?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A few helpful comments: Golden Comets and red sex links are supposed to be the same bird. In a mixed batch of "straight run" chicks (both sexes), the hens can be distinguished from the cocks by their coloration, they are a darker yellow-red and have what appear to be two dark "stripes" running down their back, whereas the cocks will be an overall light yellow bordering on white. This is intentional, they were bred this way to readily distinguish between the sexes at hatching. These birds are hybrids, meaning a cross between two distinct breeds (or pure lines), characterized by uniformity and heterosis, where the offspring out produce either parent. Those wishing to hatch out eggs should not use eggs from these hens, since you will get segregation of the genes in the F2 generation, which manifests itself in non-uniformity of type and lower productivity. In terms of their personality, they are wonderful birds, much less aggressive, flighty, and neurotic than black sex links, and do great as foragers when allowed to roam. Hope these comments are useful and add to someones knowledge!

Just added 5 of these. Lost 11 of 12 of my 1 month old flock to a predator this past weekend and no one had the buffs, RIRs, in stock so I picked up these. Glad to hear they're a desirable breed.
Still desperately want to replace my buffs, but won't be in until May.

Todd, You won't be sorry, Red Sex Links are fantastic! I have six month old chicks that are the most promiscuous I've ever had. That said, I have an old Buff Orpington hen who is my favorite! She has gone broody three times, raised a family once, and is the most intelligent of my chickens, a real thinker. She is the only one who will hop up on my leg to say hello, tell me she loves me, and ask for a morsel. When I bought her five years ago, she had a bloody spot on her wing, and I picked her because I knew the other chicks would continue picking at it, and she has repaid me with friendship. She is the dominant hen of the seven old ones, and since a coyote got my rooster, has taken over as matriarch of the flock. They get to roam seven acres, her leading the way. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom