Golden Cuckoo Marans Chick very weak, probably dying.

Allisha

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2013
I posted a similar thread like this in the Diseases section, but I thought I should post it here, too. This morning I woke up and checked on the chicks. The food was low(little piggies!), and the water had some shavings in it.(I am graduating them to nipple drinkers in a few days). Anyway, my 4 week old Golden Cuckoo Maran male is very sluggish, and does everything in slow motion. He even eats very slowly. His wings are droopy, and when I pick him up and set him down, he stumbles slightly. But he can walk in a straight direction and stuff. No nasal discharge, no coughing, no wheezing. Pink skin, no external parasites that I can see. I can't really tell if around the vent is swollen(doesn't look like it). I can't tell if his hocks, toes, or legs, are swollen. He can stand up perfectly fine. I have not seen him drink, and it seems he is under the heat a little more.

They are vaccinated for Marek's, and their on medicated feed. The only thing I can think of, is the new wood shavings we bought were smaller than normal, and a little off color. Added it the day before yesterday. Water and food is changed multiple times a day. Last night did get a little chilly, though...

I think he is getting worse, but perked up a little now.

How is his poop? Or have you seen him poop to know if it's abnormal or not? The absolute first thing I would do is try a round of corid. I know they are on medicated feed, but it doesn't necessarily prevent cocci. The other thing I can think of is giving him some vitamins, because I know that medicated feed can block the absorbtion of vitamins (b vitamin specifically, maybe? I can't remember and don't use medicated feed myself). They can go downhill so quickly and those are the two things I would try first. Poor guy! :(

I guess I will try Corid. Its so weird, because his only symptoms are lethargy, perhaps lack of appetite, and droopiness. The other 13 look great. We also have 31 week old chicks attached to their room, so that's nerve-wracking too.

I haven't seen him poop, so I do not know if it is abnormal. They have all the opportunities to eat bugs since their brooder is an enclosed porch area, so maybe he has another type of worm? I'm trying to narrow illnesses down, so I think respiratory shouldn't be his problem. He ate this morning, so I couldn't check for impacted crop.

I checked on him again, and he is just standing there with his head hanging. He does not have an impacted crop. Man, this stinks. I have grown attached to him, and he was going to be used for my breeding program.

Oh I'm so sorry!! I really hope he perks up, and I hope that someone else can chime in with other possibilities. I will be thinking about you and your chick, I hope so much that he makes it!

Thanks so much!
I gave him some cooked egg yolk with sugar.
He ate a little, and I put him under the heat lamp.
He just stands there, with his head drooping down to the shavings.
He hasn't gotten worse though, so fingers crossed!

No, I wasnt. 8\.
Apparently, they didn't have Corid available except for their 100$ one..
I didn't know if it was that, so I decided to order it online, and hope for the best.
He isn't doing well at all now.
He is just sleeping at the feeder, away from the others which are under the heat lamp.
I just gave him more egg, and put him with his buddies under the heat lamp.
I am hoping for the best, and I will give an update in the morning.
Everyone else seems great...

Do you think Botulism is the culprit? From either the new shavings, or a piece of drywall my family stuffed in a crack? He might have limber neck...

Oh poor thing. :( i don't think botulism is all that common, is it? Do the symptoms match up, do you think? That is crazy that the corid was $100!! I have the liquid kind and it was something like $22. If you lived close by I would bring you some. I'm going to research botulism in the morning, now I'm very curious. Hoping he's still hanging in there in the AM.

Back
Top Bottom