Golden Cuckoo Marans Eggs - WA State - The stories

Don,
looks like I got a couple of silver cuckoos with my golden(yes, I know it was a possibility). I was wondering how to tell the pullets from the roos? They are about 8 or so weeks and have gorgeous light heads but dark bodies so I was hoping they are pullets? I haven't seen any pics of the silvers so I didn't know if the body color was indicative of gender?

We have not seen any silver pullets. We do have two pullets that are very light in the Gold.

All Silver Looking chicks have been cockerals. You need to wait it out, some will develop gold saddle and hackle feathers.

My first set of GCM eggs are a bust. I thought it was unlikely considering one was badly broken. Free air cells and no development in the others. So... gonna try again. After all, that's how things get done.

Wish me luck.

Okay update.... LOL I kept cooking the marans out of sheer cussedness on my part, though I was pretty sure of a bust. Mind you, GCMs were the goal in all this. At the end of 12 days I recandled. The ONE wheaton egg shows development as well as the ONE unmarked egg that should be BCM by egg color.

I should be happy at least both eggs are five or better LOL. Not sure about the BCM hatching the air cell isn't changing properly. The Wheaton looks better.

If figures two I didn't really need. Wonder if they'll both be Roos - probably huh??? Chuckle.

barnie.gif
he.gif
rant.gif
hit.gif

Oh lord I just cannot win. The eggs were resent. I put them in the bator. I carton incubate. I went to tilt the carton, the carton had a tear I did NOT see. This batch only had 3 GCMs in it..... of course what jumped out and hit the floor??? One of the three GCM eggs.

There should be a struck-by-lightning emoticon.
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
I can't even begin to afford to have her send more. Shipping twice has emptied everything. I'm just gonna sit here and
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

She was even REALLY kind and sent a huge number of extras (BC and W) so I'd have a better chance of hatching something... Not my month...

Here is my light golden cuckoo baby from nivtup. I love his coloring. He had more tail feathers but I had him in with a split lavender/blk orp girl who started picking his tailfeathers out GRRRRR. He is a crazy thing always playing and up to something. He is definitely my favorite out of all my chickens lol.
Cuckoo Baby:
45258_cuckoobaby1.jpg

45258_cuckoo_baby4.jpg

We had a set back this spring as we lost our primary breeder roo.

Back-up roo is in the pen, and the girls are currently in a loooong molt.

We have a few chicks on the ground that show some promise. Limited success in getting feathers on the legs of the right birds. It seems that if the chick is completely off color, then we might see feathering. Egg color is mixed on this years pullets, some good, some not so good.

We still have some work ahead of us.

Back
Top Bottom