Golden Cuckoo Marans Eggs - WA State - The stories

My chicks usualy look like the ones on the pullets on the right and the cockerel in the middle... I've never gotten a mottled one like that but have gotten a few like the ones on the left which often turn out to be plain cuckoo... Is this what you are seeing too? and what does the mottled chick look like as an adult?

Tina,

We still have you on the list for eggs, you just need to say when
big_smile.png

We have 8 Cuckoos from the same lines, all but one with feathered shanks.

Color was good on the eggs we set, and hope it is as good or better on the eggs that they lay.

BTW, the Khakis are laying at a rate of 56 eggs per week.
big_smile.png

I will have to look at my records to be certain, however from memory (which is sometimes questionable) the mottled chicks generally are pullets that will have a light tan neck, and more of a brown barred body. We have seen two or possibly three like this in our hatchings.

Your other observations are in line with what we see.

I had hoped to be able to identify chicks to hens by now, however we have not been hatching the numbers we needed to. I think there is one of the girls that is throwing this coloration, and I need to get her weeded out.

On the other hand, we have a pretty good crop of pullets coming up. Cockerels are looking good, although we are still wating for them to get their big bird feathers.

Don

Don,

My disappointing cockerels have been overly white. Lots of white on the chest especially. Have you managed to work that out of your line yet or was it never a problem?

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread!

I had asked my Husband for an incubator for my 50th birthday coming up but he's not keen on the extra electricity being used. I figure the next best thing is hope one of my older Hens goes broody and order some eggs or find someone that sells day old GCM's.

Michelle

Wow gang really really great info
celebrate.gif
caf.gif
Good read

I will be getting some eggs from you this month Don and I will probily get some form pasofinofarm later this spring as well then I will keep the best from both.
celebrate.gif
Oh I am sooo eggcited to get a chance to get these eggs and be able to assist with the line .. I think they are beautiful birds.
love.gif

Thank so much to both of you for working to the great breeding on them
thumbsup.gif

big_smile.png
Karan

Melissa,

Our dissapointing cockerals also are to light in the chest, and no we have not bred it out of the line yet. We will get there though
big_smile.png

Don

Okay, here are some pics of my Marans. Please help me figure out what I have. Sometimes when I look at them, I see 4 cockerels and 2 pullets, but other times I see 3 pullets. Just can't tell. Only one of them is mostly yellow. He is definitely a cockerel and he is also bigger and has fully formed wings while the others are just barely getting their primaries. Have a look and see what you think.
Also pictured is the faverolle surprise which I am thinking is a cockerel, and the Ameraucana. This one also has fully formed wings and a big head. I am soooo hoping it is a pullet!!!
fl.gif

As newborns
19636_100_7826.jpg

One week old without flash
19636_100_7892.jpg

One week old with flash
19636_100_7901.jpg

19636_100_7900.jpg

19636_100_7899.jpg

The faverolle at 8 days
19636_100_7917.jpg

The Ameraucana
19636_100_7910.jpg

Last edited:
Oh gckiddhouse They are sooo adorable

It looks to me that you have 3 and 3 1 is kinda questionable it could be 4 and 2. They are soo cute in about 2 to 3 weeks it will be more obivious .

Congrats on the Fuzzies

love.gif
them

big_smile.png
Karan

Back
Top Bottom