Golden Neck genetics?

Two doses of recessive white will make a white bird. Think dominant white just makes the normal black areas white( tail, breast, parts of the wing). One dose will look the same as two, Two doses will breed true. I think.

jj

One dose of dominant white does not inhibit red pigment, only black. Two doses limit both pigments. Red pyle genotype includes one copy of dominant white.

Does that mean a percentage of chicks out of a red pyle pair are partridge?

I mean does it work like blue Bl/bl x Bl/bl= blue /black /splash so does

l/i x I/i = black /red/white?

jj

Last edited:

jj

Not really, as partridge and red pyle have different bases (e^b vs e+); could get some Black Breasted Red. HOWEVER, I am not a breeder of red pyle, and am going by what I know about chicken genetics. Depending on how you breed, you could get birds pure for dom. white as ones that have one copy. Googling about breeding them, most of the references I saw said that they need BBR bred back into them occasionally, but that was every few generations, not routinely.

I mean does it work like blue Bl/bl x Bl/bl= blue /black /splash so does

l/i x I/i = black /red/white?

jj

If you cross two red pyle and both are I/i+ then some of the offspring will be good red pyle without black/gray specs, some red pyle with black/gray specs and some that are black breasted red ( like a light brown leghorn).

APA partridge refers to a gold penciled pattern. Some individuals refer to partridge as the phenotype of a bird that carries the brown allele.

The APA standard requires that the E locus of the red pyle be wild type. Females should have a salmon colored breast. So hiding under the white color is the light brown leghorn phenotype.

Tim

Last edited:
BB red is called partridge in Europe where most of my books are written, but let's not get hung up on that. The real question is, If I/I is added to bb red is the result a red pyle or a totally white bird?

jj

Back
Top Bottom