Golden Neck genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    What exactly is a Golden Neck bird, genetically? Buff Mottled?

I'm hatching some Golden Neck Old English Game bantams soon and I'm just wondering what color I could outcross them to to improve the line. Mottled?

Here's some pictures of Golden Neck Booted bantams, I don't want to post any pictures of the OEGBs without the sellers permission, but I'll see if I can soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    There are two types of golden necks the correct one is a pyle version of a mille fleur. But there are some that are splash mille fleur.

so mille fleurs would make a good cross or red pyle.

jj

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    What would be the easiest way to tell which type my birds are? Could you tell from pictures?

Thank you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. Backwoods Bntms

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Cross to mille fleur if they are splash millies all chicks would be blue millies. There are a lot of red pyle OEGBs so they are probably correct.

jj

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    So if I'm understanding you correctly then Mille Fleur X Red Pyle = Golden Neck?

7. Backwoods Bntms

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Just to let you know I have only studied the genetics of this color I have no practical experience with goldennecks. If I am wrong , someone feel free to correct me.You will need to take the results of the millie x red pyle cross back to millie( because these will have only one copy of the mottled gene) to get a few golden necks. Some of these will have one copy of dominant white some will have two.To get them to breed true they will need a double dose of dominant white if not they will throw half millies and half golden neck.

jj

I was typing to fast at lunch and left out a step. After you get some golden necks by crossing back to the millie. You have to breed the golden necks and you will get 50% millie and 50% golden necks. Out of these golden necks Half are split for dominant white . If the splits are crossed you would again get 50% millies. The half that are not split will breed true with each other but when crossed with a bird that has one copy of dominant white will also result in all golden necks.

There are people on here who know this stuff alot better than me, hopefully they will chime in..

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They need two doses of mottling for mottles to show; however, I believe they need one, not two doses of dominant white. Two doses should give an all white bird.

9. Backwoods Bntms

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Two doses of recessive white will make a white bird. Think dominant white just makes the normal black areas white( tail, breast, parts of the wing). One dose will look the same as two, Two doses will breed true. I think.

jj

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    millie x red pyle = F1 white birds with red leaking through- some may have black ticking/partial black feathers in white areas

Millie x F1= some golden neck and other various phenotypes ( hatch 20 or more chicks)

Pick out the birds with the best golden neck mottling and cross them= more golden neck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by