Golden Sebright Feathers

PegDemetris

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
When I first purchased my Golden Sebrights, I was less than impressed with them. They were high strung and just didn't fit my personality. I thought about selling them but was held back as I was trying to sell others from my OE Bantam flock. Long story short. I am glad I didn't make time to sell them. They have grown on me and truly became a favorite of mine. The photo below is of one of my roosters. Is this the normal color of a Golden Sebrights feathers? I noticed a purple tint mixed into the black. It's stunning in person. Also. I have two roosters and one hen. Is this a possibility going to create a problem? The other rooster is very submissive. Should I try to get another hen and separate them into pairs? Or sell a rooster?

Attachments

• 20210723_142633.jpg
    20210723_142633.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 51
He has normal coloring for a hatchery sebright. Though he wouldn’t be “correct” according to the breed standard of a sebright since he doesn’t have the hen-feathering genes.
Agreed. The hen and cockerel feathers should look exactly the same. Yours is either not purebred or just poor quality.

See how it goes with the submissive rooster. He most likely won't be allowed to mate with the hen. I'd add more hens though of a similar size. You can get silver laced sebrights too. How many do you have in your flock now?

Agreed. The hen and cockerel feathers should look exactly the same. Yours is either not purebred or just poor quality.

See how it goes with the submissive rooster. He most likely won't be allowed to mate with the hen. I'd add more hens though of a similar size. You can get silver laced sebrights too. How many do you have in your flock now?
I just gave him away and kept the submissive Rooster. Currently looking for more hens for him also.

This is Mr. Submissive aka Winny. When he crows, it sounds like he is trying to sing the theme song to Winny The Poo. LOL

Attachments

• 20210811_175330.jpg
    20210811_175330.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 16
A quick search on wikipedia explains Homozygous Hf/Hf vs heterozygous Hf/hf expression of hen-feathering. One CANNOT tell alone, by phenotype, what the genotype of the bird is. Especially with heterozygous males, they may show hen feathering after their first molt... or even revert back to "normal" hr/hr+ feathering as geriatric males.

Back
Top Bottom