Golden Yokes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by distag16, Sep 11, 2010.

1. distag16

distag16 New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I am pretty new to the chicken thing but LOVING having them!!

I am wondering if anyone might have some advice on what to feed the girls to get the yolks to turn a darker golden color. They really just look like regular eggs at this point, maybe slightly yellower than in the store but I am really wanting that darker color of golden yellow or almost orange yolk I used to love as a kid. We can't have roos where we live and we are just finished feeding them a brooding mash from when we first got them and now we are going to switch over to Ace High Big feeder laying pellets. Any suggestions on what we should be giving them?

Oh, we also give them some scratch and they love our big zuccini's from the garden!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    The golden yolks are produced from beta carotene. Think greens, the darker the better.

3. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    If you can, feed them alfalfa as that darkens the yolks. Oddly, I have been giving the hens the excess orange cherry tomatoes from the garden and the yolks have turned a bright orange color- really neat.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:Yeah that [​IMG] I've found the more I freerange on the lawn or throw them garden weeks, the darker yolk I yet. (No chemicals on the lawn or garden).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  5. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    When mine first started laying the yolks were the normal store-bought yellow. But within a month, the yolks turned a deep orange color or gold, they are almost shiny. I didn't feed many greens during the time, just the normal "let the chickens out in the morning and put them back at night" every day the weather permitted.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you can free range, they'll get their own greens, which includes grass. Otherwise, you need to provide them, to get the rich orange colored yolks. The eggs will be healthier and so will the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by