Golden Yokes

distag16

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
I am pretty new to the chicken thing but LOVING having them!!

I am wondering if anyone might have some advice on what to feed the girls to get the yolks to turn a darker golden color. They really just look like regular eggs at this point, maybe slightly yellower than in the store but I am really wanting that darker color of golden yellow or almost orange yolk I used to love as a kid. We can't have roos where we live and we are just finished feeding them a brooding mash from when we first got them and now we are going to switch over to Ace High Big feeder laying pellets. Any suggestions on what we should be giving them?

Oh, we also give them some scratch and they love our big zuccini's from the garden!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

The golden yolks are produced from beta carotene. Think greens, the darker the better.

If you can, feed them alfalfa as that darkens the yolks. Oddly, I have been giving the hens the excess orange cherry tomatoes from the garden and the yolks have turned a bright orange color- really neat.

Quote:
Yeah that
smile.png
I've found the more I freerange on the lawn or throw them garden weeks, the darker yolk I yet. (No chemicals on the lawn or garden).

Last edited:
When mine first started laying the yolks were the normal store-bought yellow. But within a month, the yolks turned a deep orange color or gold, they are almost shiny. I didn't feed many greens during the time, just the normal "let the chickens out in the morning and put them back at night" every day the weather permitted.

If you can free range, they'll get their own greens, which includes grass. Otherwise, you need to provide them, to get the rich orange colored yolks. The eggs will be healthier and so will the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom