1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golf balls DO work!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I finally have all 9 of my hens laying now. I have (3) nest boxes built in to the side wall of my coop.
    I have read, and still believe, that most hens want to lay in the same nest box, although all 3 of my nest boxes are getting used daily. As 3 of the hens are sitting, the others are either down on the floor pitching a fit, or bird-dogging the 3 laying from the step bar in front of the boxes.

I have a golf ball in each box, and every day, all 3 boxes have eggs in them.

Last Saturday, a plastic golf ball I was using in one of the boxes was easily kicked out early on, before any of them had laid yet. I saw a hen in there, but she got up. (no egg) When I went back out to collect around noon, I had 7 total eggs in the 2 nest boxes that still had the golf balls in them and the box where the plastic golf ball was supposed to be had nothing, nada, zip.

Golf balls DO work.

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great and good to know.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I'm going to go out and buy some then, because my hens also use only one box! Thanks for the suggestion!

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Buff and cole, your avatars are making me feel exausted! All that running and dancing around....LOL

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:I don't know where that even came from....I have never taken the time to put an avatar on my page. (maybe my wife jacked with it....I don't know)[​IMG]

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I don't know where that even came from....I have never taken the time to put an avatar on my page. (maybe my wife jacked with it....I don't know)[​IMG]

It's really cute. I'm technically challenged or I might have one myself.

7. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    we use golf balls too...we leave them in there...and when I take eggs from our broodies; I replace their eggs w/a couple golf balls under them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by