Gonna try quail

Birddog1148

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Sandusky Ohio
Well I have been keeping chickens for about 10 years. And ducks about 3. So I am going to try my hand at quail now. Ordered some eggs this morning that will ship next month. Will get an incubator this weekend. And am really thinking about a hatching time cage. I am thinking I would like to consume about 4 birds a week, but maybe less.

One of the things I wished I'd known when I started with quail was to keep them on the ground rather than in a cage.

My first setup:
0830191521_HDR.jpg

My current setup:
0913201015.jpg

One of the things I wished I'd known when I started with quail was to keep them on the ground rather than in a cage.

My first setup:
View attachment 3071316
My current setup:
View attachment 3071319
I am worried the 2 knuckle heads pictured will scare the quail. The mostly ignore the chickens and ducks but they like to spook them once in a while. When I said I wanted to consume 4 quail a week what I meant was 2 for me and 1 each for the dogs.

Attachments

• PXL_20220409_191803848.jpg
    PXL_20220409_191803848.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220410_212258947.jpg
    PXL_20220410_212258947.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
So why do you choose to have them on the ground?
  • The wire bottoms are hard on their feet
  • I don't have to put in separate dirt/sand baths, since they have plenty of dirt to play in
  • Their pens are on my garden beds, so I just hoe their poop under and it fertilizes the bed
  • The cage requires cleaning, the garden beds don't. I just move them around 3 or 4 times a year
  • They are much happier on the dirt than in the cage

If you’re not moving those ground cages, you have to clean them, and that ain’t no fun. I won’t be making any more on the ground. scraping out the sandbox side gets to seem like a chore sometimes, but it’s a breeze compared to scraping crap off a wire floor on the ground Or mucking out hay/wood chips. Just my $.02.

If you’re not moving those ground cages, you have to clean them, and that ain’t no fun. I won’t be making any more on the ground. scraping out the sandbox side gets to seem like a chore sometimes, but it’s a breeze compared to scraping crap off a wire floor on the ground Or mucking out hay/wood chips. Just my $.02.
Mine don't have floors. They're directly on the ground, so you can hoe the poop under.

Mine don't have floors. They're directly on the ground, so you can hoe the poop under.
if mine didn’t have floors, I wouldn’t have birds. Neighbor tried a wire skirt going out maybe 18” from the outside base of his chicken run. No dice. Too many thing like to dig around here.

Back
Top Bottom