Gonna visit a serious ACD breeder soon.. Will he look down at me and my dog? :[

First you have to look at what Goss into the litter.. Working titles? Conformation titles? What health testing did the breeder do?
Most good breeders are going to have expensive dogs because they put alot of money into their dogs.
German shepherds, for example, are going to run at least $1000 for a good dog - training, working, and testing are expensive. My boy for example already has over $2000 invested in him andI still don't know for certain that he will be good enough to breed. W go next week for hip and elbow xrays and that will be another $200. At $1200 a pup breeders aren't taking in the cash!
I don't see a reason to choose looks vs working ability.a good breeder should be producing dogs that are both!
I don't have ant place local to work livestock but I've done a lot of research into it. With sheep, the instructor starts off with a small group of dog savvy animals. Ones that can be trusted not to intimidate a green dog and let him get a feel for what its expected. The dog is taken into the Penn on a long line so that the instructor can control things if the dog gets too rough.
It's not something I would attempt on my own though! Bad timing and unclear instructions could create some really bad habits in a working dog. I would find someone to at least let you observe them working their dogs but who will hopefully help you begin training her.

If this breeder does obedience, that is a good start. Never underestimate the importance of obedience in a working dog. That same relationship and ethic that helps s breeder succeed in the obedience ring is the foundation for a reliable dog in the field.

This is just an example of how a good breeder sets a price for their dogs.

First you have to look at what Goss into the litter.. Working titles? Conformation titles? What health testing did the breeder do?
Most good breeders are going to have expensive dogs because they put alot of money into their dogs.
German shepherds, for example, are going to run at least $1000 for a good dog - training, working, and testing are expensive. My boy for example already has over $2000 invested in him andI still don't know for certain that he will be good enough to breed. W go next week for hip and elbow xrays and that will be another $200. At $1200 a pup breeders aren't taking in the cash!
I don't see a reason to choose looks vs working ability.a good breeder should be producing dogs that are both!
I don't have ant place local to work livestock but I've done a lot of research into it. With sheep, the instructor starts off with a small group of dog savvy animals. Ones that can be trusted not to intimidate a green dog and let him get a feel for what its expected. The dog is taken into the Penn on a long line so that the instructor can control things if the dog gets too rough.
It's not something I would attempt on my own though! Bad timing and unclear instructions could create some really bad habits in a working dog. I would find someone to at least let you observe them working their dogs but who will hopefully help you begin training her.
If this breeder does obedience, that is a good start. Never underestimate the importance of obedience in a working dog. That same relationship and ethic that helps s breeder succeed in the obedience ring is the foundation for a reliable dog in the field.
I'd never introduce my dog to sheep just by myself, I found a herding champion guy in Leona Valley, when I have the time I will call him up and visit his ranch for experience and wisdom.

[[[[[[............, but I wonder if we ever get another dog if I should go to a breeder that works on looks or one that does working. I'm not entirely sure which one is better. .......]]]]]]]

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of devoted show breeds who performance test their dogs. Their dogs must work and look good to be in the breeding program. Myself, I believe that the working abilities are described in many of the breed standards and a dog that won't work does not comply with the standard and should not be bred.

My son bought a Welsh Springer Spaniel who had 2 parents that worked the gun and showed in conformation. She won best of breed every time shown and she worked the gun every fall. She had one litter (of 2) and her son won his CH with all majors and he works the gun every fall.

My imported Papillon stud dog only sired a few pups and has a basketful of get with MACH and obedience titles. I bred to a dog who was Can Am Ch and 16 best of shows and came from a kennel famous for obedience dogs,

My German Shepherds herded sheep and did farm work and I bred to a dog who was Can Am CH, OTCh, TDX, and worked sheep.

My Scottish Deerhounds, Salukies, and Borzois all won BOB's, and some groups and all of them hunted live game.

Good breeders breed for type, performance, temperament, and health. If a breeder is not breeding for the total package, go somewhere else to buy a puppy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom