1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

good books

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gaited horse, Sep 20, 2008.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i want some good animal books to read not training books but stories.

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Watership Down Richard Adams
    Animal Farm George Orwell

are the two that come to mind quickly....although both are allegorical and humanize the animals...

3. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Black Beauty

Chicken Soup for the Animal Lover's Soul & Pet Lover's Soul

Call of the Wild

Born Free

I might think of more later...

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The Silverwing series about bats is good... What age range are we talking?

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Enslaved by Ducks was a great book. It wasn't fiction, but was actually a funny account of a man who started with one animal and just kept getting more and more! (Just like many of us here on BYC!)

There is a book called the "Firebringer" about deer that I read this past summer and it was excellent. That same author also writes another book about wolves, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Also, there is another series called "The Firebringer" and it is about a group of unicorns. This is more of a younger series, but I'm almost 20 and I still enjoy books like that every now and again :) I believe there were four or five books in that series.

There are a few other animal books I know of, but just can't remember. I'll have to go through my collection since I'm home for the weekend and I'll get back to you.

6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Have you read the series of books by James Herriot? It starts with All Creatures Great and Small. Every animal lover should read his books, they are wonderful!

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:They most certainly are, and the television series they had here in the UK was fantastic....Yorkshire is a most beautiful place..ahhh your comments have taken me back years (and years!)

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I have read all james Herriot books Black Beauty Chicken Soup for the Animal Lover's Soul & Pet Lover's Soul Call of the Wild
    I will have to look for those books

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Some people like the Redwall series . . . I enjoy them when I'm looking for a light read that I can get through in an afternoon.
    Everyone should read Watership Down [​IMG]

10. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Also . . . Where the Red Fern Grows and Summer of the Monkeys are both excellent books.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by